Wednesday, August 6, 2008

SHOCKS . . PEGS. . .LUCKY!!

Okay, so I have some thoughts about a fashion trend I came across today that seems a bit on the disturbing side. And it made me think of a post I did back in December of 2007. In which I pretty much said it all. So, because my other blog is private, I decided to copy and paste my thoughts about a certain fashion trend that I feel very strongly about, and my experience with it. If you've already read this post, sorry. But please scroll down and read today's thoughts on the subject. It will be worth it. I hope.



Okay, so I had to share with you a little experience I had a while back that I've been meaning to share with y'all.

So the other day I am out on my own, having my own little free-time, so where do I go? But none other than just maybe the best jean store on the planet. Well, maybe not on the planet, but definitely on 3300 South. It's called Urban Blues. Anyways. . .


Okay, now I know some of you were witnesses a few years back when I uttered words I should have known better than to utter. It started out with: Mark my words, I will never give into the ______ trend. In this blank you can put any word. For instance leggins, or maybe shoulder pads. But this time the blank was filled with skinny jeans. Now, let me just say that I grew up in the eighties and when I saw this trend was coming back, and not just on Mary-Kate and Ashley, but I mean really coming back, I had to give in.


So back to my story. I am at Urban Blues trying on jeans, not skinny ones mind you. (By the way, while we are here, can I just say that that name is such a misconception. They do not make you look skinny. In fact they make most people, short of Nicole Richie pre-pregnancy, look fat. )

Okay. So there I was trying on normal jeans, when the girl (and I mean girl) selling the jeans asks me if I've ever tried on skinny jeans. "No!" I almost say too loudly. Then she proceeds to tell me to try some on since I am so tall and have such long legs. (notice she did not say skinny. Which is what you need to be to wear these jeans.) So after much prodding I try them on. Well, they should have been called FAT JEANS THAT ARE 2 FEET TOO LONG JEANS. So, basically, I am standing there looking ridiculous, and trying to get her to see that they are really silly looking, seeing that I could mop the floor with the ends, and that's when she says it. Something that I thought I'd never hear again, something I haven't heard since about 1983. She says, "You should just peg them." Whoa joe. Backup. What did she just say? "Peg them?" I ask, like she's just said I should take them off and run naked down the street. And I say again,"Peg them? They are already pegged. They are skinny jeans." (mom that means, they are tight around your ankles) She just looks at me, like I'm a little bit special, and tells me that pegging means I should just roll them up under themselves. She then proceeds to tell me that usually these "skinny jeans"--(I'm now reverting to air quotes, no--real quotes, cause that name is just to deceiving) are worn with high heels, so they are made longer. Well, she should have told me that first, because no respectable mother with two kids is going to wear heels around all day. I mean, sure to church (which is funny cause I love heels, and have tonz of them, when really it's silly cause there are only 52 Sundays in a year) or maybe an occasional date out with Hubs, but lets be honest people, that ain't happening a whole lot with two crazy kids. I would never have even tried them on.


But you see the part that gets me is she was totally using the term "peg" wrong. And, me being who I am, I had to set her straight. I mean, come on people. She works in a jeans store. So I took the "skinny jeans" off, and went and got some flares, or boot cut jeans, and showed her how to really peg jeans. I showed her the whole process of folding the excess denim over tight and folding it up a few times till it stays. So you get that nice bubble look. That's when I'd knew I'd really done it. I look at her, and granted I do look absolutely ridiculous with my pants pegged standing there, but the look on her face was total and complete pity. Man in the matter of about 15 seconds I had aged myself to in her mind, like a dinosaur.

And the whole time I was thinking, how can she not know what "pegging" is? Did she miss the eighties or something? And that's when I realized the truth, "YES!" I mean, she was 15, maybe 16 on a good day. That would put her born in (carry the one, and add the six) 1990 or something. So yes, gasp, she did miss the eighties. It's a good thing I didn't actually say that out loud. Man I am old. But the worst part was the pity/crazy look. Don't pity me fool! I am proud to have lived through the eighties. Garbage pail kids, popples, wonderwoman, Carebares, Ghostbusters. These are all good things. Things she missed out on. And right then and there, I told her, "I can't get these jeans, or the "skinny" ones." And I actually felt bad for her. All these teenagers dressing in these faux 80s trends, when really they have no idea. Then I left.


And went home. And crimped my hair, slapped on some sticky wet n' wild pink lip stick, and white eye liner and pegged my jeans. I may not be 16, and I may not be wearing skinny jeans, but that's okay, cause I wore the ORIGINAL skinny jeans. The Peg. May it rest in peace. (original publish date of December 19 2007)


Well, now believe it or not, the peg, is not resting in peace. It is making a return!!! That's right people. Thanks to people like Katie:
And Rachel:
The peg is officially back. See photo below taken off of J.Crew's current website.

And I just don't know what to say. Some things are better left in the past right? I mean, I fought the skinny jean trend and survived and I think I'll probably leave this trend alone too. I'll leave it to those who weren't able to experience it the first time around. I'm pretty sure once was enough.


So, what are your thoughts? The peg has officially been revived. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Jill said...

I'll definitely be staying away from this trend. It's not like my cankles need to be shown to the world anyway and remember how annoying it was to sit down and have your pegs ride up and you had to physically pull them down when you stood up, just too much work! oh yeah, and it's ugly. Congrats on the the potty training!

Jo said...

It wasn't pretty in the 80's and it still isn't pretty. I mean, Katie is wicked skinny and she looks a bit wide pegging those pants. Obviously a fashion faux pas, no matter what the runways say!

Anonymous said...

Heaven help us all!

Suzanne said...

Yikes!! That is so frightening! Some things from the 80s really should stay in the 80s. Pegged pants are definitely one of them. Seriously, not cute at all.