Wednesday, August 13, 2008

ONO, ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Okay, again I know I am a little late for my weekly PR post, but since we've got a new ep airing tonight I thought better late than never. Well, some of you might disagree with that, but since I love all things PR and this is my blog, what I type goes. So there.


So, ep 4 was all about the Olympics. They had Olympic speed skater Apollo Ono on as the guest judge for the week. Who, by the way I once had dinner with at Porcupine Grille. Well, he was a table away, but still we ate at the Porcupine pretty much together since it was at the same time. and only one itty bitty table away. Right? Anyways, I thought Appollo was eh. Didn't thrill me, didn't bore me. In other words, we've had way better guest judges and way worse (i.e. Sandra).


So, their challenge for the week was to design outfits that could be worn by the athletes in the opening ceremonies. Seems easy enough right? Get a little sporty look going. Simple. Well, there was so much retro crap in this challenge it made me want to barf. So, we'll start with the ones I actually liked. Since there were only two.

First:

This is Leanne's, and I really liked it. Shorts for summer, and you got the whole Red, White and Blue thing going. Nice. Sporty, yet casual, yet chic. Winner in my book.

But the real winner was:

This look, by Korto. Which I liked as well. Sporty, casual, easy. Not so sure about the waist on those pants, (could cause some serious wedgies) but hey, at least it wasn't some retro shiz. I liked how she said, it's 2008. And I want to design for 2008. Not, 1928.

And then we have the worst. The lo-o-0-ser.

Does this scream Olympian to you? Well, it sure didn't to Nina & Michael either. Out.

And this:

Can you see an Olympian in a skirt like that? Give. Me. A. Break.

And this disaster:

Okay for reals. That hat? And leggins?


Even worse:

You didn't know Betty Boop was an Olympian cocktail waitress?
And this? Seriously, that bow around the neck? My mom was sporting that heavily in the eighties. Not so much anymore (thank heavens). There is a reason.
And as much as I like Kenley, seriously? An Olympian?

and the worst by far. Even worse than the one who went home:

This disaster of a number by none other than Stella. Seriously. She should have been sent home for the belly button cutout alone.

Ahh, so I was overall very un-impressed with the designers this week. I understand that they are trying to show their point of view as a designer, but the challenges are challenges for a reason. And if they say design for an Olympian than by all means design for an Olympian. Not a 1950's housewife. Jeez.

Okay, so I really hope this weeks ep is better, that Kieth might actually get some airtime, and that Stella will go home. Gotta love me some PR.


1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I think that most of these designers must have had some serious sinus problems when they explained the challenge, or somehow won a trip to Mars during that time. That's the only explanation for what happened.

You didn't post a picture of Joe's outfit, which I really liked. It was kind of boring, but it was actually ATHLETIC wear! The Bo Peep outfit was ridiculous.