Wednesday, March 12, 2008

RAGNAR RIDICULOUSNESS


So, have I told you that I used to be a runner? Used to be being the key phrase here.


Yeah. Long time ago I got on a psycho-in-the-head trip and decided to run a few marathons. So I did. But you see, on my last marathon I had a super-duper messed up hip. But did you think a little messed up hip was gonna stop me from running my marathon? Yeah right. I'd trained for forever. Too many 5 a.m. wake-ups, and twenty-milers under my belt to just drop out of my marathon. Pshhh. Quitting is for losers. So instead I ran the entire race on a bum hip, 4 lortab, and close to a bottle of advil. Seriously. I think they gave me sugar pills instead of lortab cause I took two the night before and one on the bus to the start and about mile 4 my hip started hurting. So what's a girl to do? Pop another Lortab of course. Still hurting at mile 13, pop another. And mile twenty I thought I was gonna die, but stop? Yeah right. Quit? No way. Pop another Lortab. Finish the race. Hip hurts like all get-out. But I finished.


And now consequently I can't run farther than about 8 miles without my hip hurtin like hell. So finishing that marathon? Not my brightest move ever. But really I'm okay with it. Cause I never really liked running. Sure the company was great, the chit-chat fantastic, and the fresh start to my day--invigorating. But still not fun. Mostly did it cause well, I signed up for my first marathon the day after I got fired from a job, so really I wasn't in the best frame of mind, and the seccond marathon just seemed like the next thing to do.

You see, I come from a family of runners. Mom does about 3 or so marathons a year. Uncle does a few marathons, a couple fifty milers and a 100 mile race yearly. (Yeah, makes me tired just typing it.) Brother and sister-in-law just ran the moab half last weekend. I should have no excuse. Except I do. My theory is, you are either born with a long-distance running body or you aren't. I'm not. They are. This is okay by me. At first it used to bug me. Why was I always the injured one? Why does it seem like everyone else is enjoying themselves, and I'm wishing I were in a Lazy boy eating nachos?

Really. I don't regret running my marathons. Some of my most precious memories stem from early morning runs up millcreek, or out with the ladies gabbing. But long-distance running just isn't my thing. . . anymore. I'd much rather play softball, a game of sand volleyball or even get on the stair master. Running just takes me right back to high school when I used to goof off at practice and Coach Long would make me run around the field ten times. Sucked then, and would still suck now. (Except for one time when she wasn't looking I jumped in the bushes, and she didn't even notice. I only had to run one lap. Sure I have a scar the size of a hotdog on my thigh still to this day, but I got out of running nine laps. Totally worth it.)


Okay, so this post does have a point. I swear. The point is, I hope I have clearly stated just exacly how much I dislike running. If it isn't clear, let me just say, that I despise it. Sure I like the way I feel after, but during, I feel like vomiting and cursing whoever thought up running in the first place. So, anyways, my dear Hubs runs marathons (without training mind you) and it doesn't even phase him, and he also is a sucker for team events. So, after he ran the Ragnar Relay last year with my brother Dave he decided to start his own team through his work. Only problem is, well, not alot of chicks in commercial real estate, so guess who got signed up? Yeah. Me. I actually found out via e-mail from Ragnar themselves. Thanks for the heads up Hubs. I mean, sure he had mentioned it once or twice in passing, quickly moving onto the next subject of course, but I didn't think he was serious. Well he was folks.


So where does that put me? Officially training for a race. A 170 mile race. Good thing I only have to run like 4-6 miles 2 or three times. I'm thinking I can handle 4-6 miles. But three times? Let see, six times three is, aaakkkk! 18 miles. I think I might throw Hubs out the window. And his little Ragnar Relay Race team out with him.


So, back to the point of this post. Anyone intersted in running with me? I do have an ipod, but it's just funner running with someone else. Anyone else training for this, or another dumb race? If so, please holla at me so I can train with somebody. I know you are probably thinking that I'd be a barrel of fun, given this post, but I promise to not complain. . . too much. And if I don't train well, and I get too tired while I'm running the race, I can just jump in a nearby bush right? No one will ever notice.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Amy, this is too funny. I was not born with a runners body nor do I pretend to think I do by signing up for a race. I love watching people cross the finish line but there is no part of me that wants the thrill of it all. So this post made me laugh out loud because I know this hatred.

The best part is that you still do it though! Good luck training. I am sure Stacie Stevens is always training for something.

Anonymous said...

You are rediculous - and you only have yourself to blame. I only started running to spend time with you, remember? For some odd reason, i thought that it would be fun to spend those saturday mornings jogging together, and then got the bug. So you see, i'd never have started running for sport unless you'd introduced me...