Saturday, March 1, 2008

ABRA KADABRA!


Attention: Spoiler Altert

Okay, so if you guys have been wondering why my posts have been few and far between ever since I got home from my vacation, it's because I have been spending every bit of spare quiet time engrossed in Harry Potter.


Now, to be honest I didn't want to give into the whole Harry trend. I thought, how good can the books be? I mean they are children's books after all. And really, I wasn't all that into fantasy books. But after reading the Twilight series I had a change of heart. Litereally. After falling head over heals for a vampire, I thought surely I could give witches and wizards a chance.


And ya know what? I am so glad I did. I haven't been able to put them down. They are absolutely fantastic! Now I finally understand what the rage is all about. J.K. Rowling is a genius if you ask me. How wonderful would it be to write a series of books like that? All completely made up and imaginative? Maybe the reason I loved them so much is that I've always wanted to write professionally. And specifically young adult fiction. I've pretty much loved to read ever since I could. Connecting with characters so different than me and my life. Being able to go and experience other "people's" experiences and the different places and situations. I just basically love to read. And series books? Even better. You know I read every one of those dang Babysitter Club books when I was a kid. Little House on the Prarie. Amelia Bedelia. Nancy Drew. Those are some serious classics. I am so grateful my parents instilled in me a love of reading and the joy that can come from it. And that love of reading has spilled over into a love of writing.


Now let me be sure you understand. You see, I didn't love writing in high school, or even in college when I had too. No, this love came much later. I think after I had children and learned that it could be a creative outlet. You see, I'm of the opinion that it is vital for all people, but women in general, to be creative everyday. I have found that even a few minutes of creative writing a day can get me out of my life, and into the world of possibility.


Okay, anyways, so back to Harry. Can I just tell you that with each book I have loved getting to know all of the characters. Harry and his courage and bravery. Ron's constant devotion, Herminoe's brilliance and uncanny ability to think quick on her feet. Hagrid's love of magical creatures and honest belief in all things being created equal. Snape and his true devotion, All the Weasley's and their lighthearted look on life, and even Dumbledore (may he rest in peace) and his wisdom in all things.


So I just finished book 6 and am now on the final book in the series. So I just wanted to let you all know that my posts might thin out again for a while, while I get my closure with Harry.


Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

It was so hard for me to say goodbye. They all had been a part of my life for son long. I had to ritualize opening the last book for the first time to end the journey. We will have to have an instant message convo once you are done. There is so much in this story that I can't even fathom how brilliant her heart and soul was to create this.

I have to ask... once you read these how do you feel about the Twilight series? I just feel like you can do kids/teenagers and still have profoundly deep messages.

Can't wait to hear what you think.

I am such a long commenter. So sorry.