Friday, March 14, 2008

A MUST READ


So, I think I just drank my last diet soda. Ever.
You might be thinking I'm just starting another one of my silly food/candy/sugar strikes? Nope. Just tired of poisoning my body.
Just read this article all about the ill-affects of aspartame. Aptly named Rumsfeld Disease. Sure I knew aspartame wasn't the best thing in the world to be putting in my body, but I really had no idea. For example:
Aspartame is being identified by a growing number of researchers and physicians as an underlying cause of chronic ill health in America and other countries throughout the world.

* It interacts with other substances such as pharmaceutical drugs to produce adverse reactions.

* All metabolites of aspartame (formaldehyde, methanol, diketopiperazine and formic acid) are toxic to the human body and are especially toxic to the brain.

* Aspartame comprises over 80 percent of consumer complaints filed with the FDA.

* The FDA has generated a list of 92 symptoms associated with aspartame consumption that include nausea, dizziness, irritability, insanity, blindness, deafness, weight gain and death.

* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention claim that 500,000 people each year simply "drop dead" for no apparent reason from what it labels "sudden cardiac death."

* Dementia among all ages (especially the elderly) and learning disabilities among children, in the U.S. and abroad, have been skyrocketing since 1981.

As of today, the number of scientific and studies showing that aspartame is, indeed, an underlying cause of chronic physical and mental illness and death out number studies proving its safety by at least 400 to zero. Proof of this fact can also be determined by what happens in many cases when people stop using aspartame: Their chronic symptoms disappear.
This article is a must-read. Seriously. I know it's long, but it's worth it. Gives the history of aspartame, how it came about, as well as all the reported problems with plenty of sources to back-up it's claims.
Used to think I was being a good mom by giving my kids sugar-free stuff. Turns out, I wasn't. Had no idea I was poisoning them. I've always been so grossed out by people who smoked because of all the toxins they were taking in and hurting their bodies with. Had no idea I was taking in some of the same toxins when I drank diet soda. You know those truth campaign commercials on tv to motivate people to quit smoking? They need to run those same ones for aspartame/diet foods/drinks.
Wow. Guess ignorance isn't bliss. Sorry if this is bad news for ya. Just trying to save you from all the diseases now associated with this toxin. Nothing like a little health tip for your friday.
Hope you all have a great diet soda-free weekend!

1 comment:

Jo said...

I've actually known aspartame was bad for you as my mother is a health nut! I've just always been in denial as I've had my Diet Coke. However, when I was diagnosed with the Celiac this past November, my doctor also told me I had to quit the diet stuff as it was affecting my adrenal gland. So, as sad as it is, I too have been without the diet. I now imbibe in a little D.P. as I figure sugar is better than aspartame and a damaged adrenal gland, even though I don't even know what an adrenal gland does :)