Wednesday, September 24, 2008

THE VEGAN CHRONICLES part 2

So, let's see. Today is Wednesday. And that's as good as any a day to let you all know that I have a confession to make. And here it is: I love my planet, I love animals, and I love my body. However, that love does not precede my love for chocolate chip cookies.


And so, after I came down off of my "I'm-going-to-save-the-world-and-become-a-vegan" high, I quickly slammed back to earth and realized that I will never have another chocolate chip cookie. Ever. Oh the shame. And then I started to get all shaky and upset (just like someone who is addicted to heroin), cause I realized I didn't even have "a last cookie". Which I imagine would have been like a last supper, except better, cause it would have only involved cookies. The food of life. At least the preferred food of my life.


I'd made my decision, pledged my vegan-ism for the rest of my life, and up until this point, had been enjoying my new found diet and freedom. But really, how on earth was I going to live without my cookies? And chocolate? Damn those chickens and their eggs.


Well, as soon as I figured out my life would never be the same (sans-cookies), instead of heading into a deep depression I headed to the local library to listen to a band that was playing there on Monday night. Yep, a band. At the Library. Pretty sweet, huh? I love that, mostly cause as a kid I always wanted to just frighten everyone, and break all the rules and scream at the top of my lungs for no reason while it was all quiet at the library. Just cause I could. But this my good future vegan friends is another post and therapy session altogether. Well, I'm not sure if it's cause I was at the library, but as I was sitting there listening to all the Irish music I decided right then and there, that the library was the perfect place to get cooking books. Duh! And heck, someone, somewhere must have written a book on vegan baking. And low and behold I was right. And only 7 people were waiting in cyber-library land to get the book. So I put my name on the end of the que hold list and went to the grocery store.


And what should I find there? Only the Holy Grail of my vegan future. Yep, if you are a vegan, and have a sweet tooth, then you for sure recognized that little guy at the beginning of this post. His name is Ed. No, really, I don't think he has a name, but he is the face of The Alternative Baking Company. And these genius' decided to go into business making vegan cookies. Brilliant! And I'm sure I alone will keep them in business while I wait for my vegan baking cookbook to arrive. But until then I have enjoyed both their chocolate chip and pumpkin spice (it is that time of year) and honestly, I wouldn't even know they were vegan, organic and 100% healthy if it didn't say so on the front in big letters. Seriously. They are that good. Heck, they even make vegan wheat-free cookies for those of you that are plagued with celiac ( Jo, Hubs, & Jen.)


The cookies are a little on the pricey side, but since they are just about the size of my head, I think that's okay. Plus, they are vegan. Yay! Are you beginning to understand the magnitude of this revelation? Vegan cookies? Hooray!


Alternative Baking makes these fantastic flavors: chocolate chip, espresso chip, lemon poppy seed, peanut butter, pumpkin spice, oatmeal raisin, double chocolate, peanut butter chocolate chip, and a new cookie every few months (currently coconut macaroon).


Yes, life is good. You can learn more about Alternative Baking Co by going here. And you can learn all about Veganism by clicking here. Their explanation is much better than mine. Their product info can be found here, complete with nutrition labels and ingredient lists.


So I think I am officially saved, and can easily be vegan without the shame of no longer eating cookies. ABC has saved me! But I think Jen Blum said it best on their website when she said, "Their cookies are the bomb diggity". Is there a better endorsement than that? Go get some my fabulous soon-to-be-vegan friends.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

OK, I still don't understand the whole vegan thing. I barely understand vegetarianism, because meat is so delicious, but no eggs!?!? No marshamallows? Man, Whole Foods must make a killing!

Kristin said...

I've actually tried their cookies and they are really good (for vegan) and yes I totally support you and a big hooray for sticking with it despite the sweet tooth curve ball!

Jo said...

They are good, aren't they! I found them when I was searching for something sweet and was very excited. They are expensive though, but as I have found, and I'm sure you have, if you want to be healthy, you have to pay for it!

Sadie said...

enjoyed a peanut butter one just today.., yum yum!!!