Saturday, September 27, 2008

THE GREAT DEBATE



Oh the great debate. I have to tell you I enjoyed almost every second of this one. There were moments when John was rambling a bit, story after story, not really making any point, except for that he is an idiot, where I was praying it would end, but other than that, I thought it was very telling.

I agree with most of the other bloggers out there, that, despite my biases, Obama might have had a slight upper hand here. I think they both did well, calling each other out, but for the most part, I felt Obama just did better (As do most of the polls coming out this morning).

And really, we can go back and forth about the economy and foreign policy all day, but the overall feeling I got from the debate, was clear and present to everyone who was a viewer. Obama seemed cool, calm, and collected. He came across as smart, educated, informed, and dare I say it, presidential? Whereas, McCain just came across as a stuffy, grumpy old man. He was pompous, and elitist with all his smirks, and overbearing eye-rolls. It just came across as arrogance.

There was a point in the debate however, when Barack was direct and on the offence. And it came about when they were discussing the Iraq war. This is what he had to say:

OBAMA: But understand, that was a tactic designed to contain the damage of the previous four years of mismanagment of this war. And so John likes…John, you like to pretend like the war started in 2007. You talk about the surge, the war started in 2003. And at the time, when the war started, you said it was going to be quick and easy. You said we knew where the weapons of mass destruction were, you were wrong. You said that we would be greeted as liberators, you were wrong. You said that there was no history of violence between Shia and Sunni and you were wrong. And so the question is the judgment of whether or not…


MCCAIN: Senator Obama…Senator Obama…Senator Obama doesn’t….


OBAMA: …whether or not the question is who is best equipped as the next president to make good decisions about how we use our military, how we make sure that we are prepared and ready for the next conflict and I think we can take a look at our judgment.

Loves it!

Of course now, it's spin alley. Each campaign declaring they won, and will spin the debate to their liking.

And as for the McCain campaign, "suspending their campaign" give me a break. They were still running ads (like the one toting McCain as winner of the debate that ran in the WSJ online before McCain had even announced he was going to be attending). But honestly, the McCain camp must be freaking out now, because come this Thursday Sarah I-can-see-Russia-from-my-backyard Palin is going to be a disaster. If she debates anything like she interviews (see her interview with Katie Couric) things could get ugly. This lady is only one bad heartbeat away from the Presidency. Yes, you could say, I'm looking forward to next Thursday.

Oh, and where was Johns flag pin? Sucker.

And for those of you who are drinkers, or just enjoy a good laugh, I found this little drinking game online to be played while watching the debates. Could make for a fun night, if you like that sort of thing.

So, I'd like to know, what were your thoughts on the great debate?

1 comment:

Aimee said...

McCain's stories were KILLING me. Who cares??? Get to the damn point will ya??

He was name dropping like crazy too. But he did do better than I was expecting overall.

Still voting for Obama though. Mind wasn't changed.