Monday, July 14, 2008

WE GOT "JOYCE-ED"


Okay, I've got something very serious, and very important to discuss, and hopefully get your opinion on. And that is:


When is it too early to call someone on the phone? And let me clarify, on their home phone.


And you might be wondering what would prompt such a ridiculous post, and you might not. But of course you are going to find out anyway.



So one day last week, that was in my opinion, an especially good morning for sleeping in by the way, I was awakened by the piercing ringing of my home phone on my nightstand at exactly 6:57. My only thought was, whoever is calling better be on fire, in jail, or dead, cause it is too early to be talking to anyone. Even my husband and children. But the person on the other end, was alas, not on fire, or in jail, or dead. Nope. It was just our neurotic, exuberant, very enthusiastic, and apparently boundary-lacking neighbor And this was her reasoning for waking us all up: Apparently someone from our house had called her house at 7 pm last night and didn't leave a message and she wanted to know what that call was all about. And I just told her in my most groggy voice I could muster, that I didn't know. Because I didn't. And she said okay. And then there was an awkward pause (where I hope she was looking at the clock and realizing the error of her ways), and then I asked her if there was anything else I could help her with at this early hour. She said no. And I hung up.



So yeah, I'm not exactly a morning person. But really? Seven a.m.? You have got to be kidding me. So, after complaining about this in person to every one I know, I have now decide to take my issue to the bloggers.


And it begs the question: Just how early is too early? What exactly is the cut-off call time in the morning? And while we are at it, How late is too late? Cut off call time in the evening?


Cause really, I don't want to ever, ever be that annoying neighbor who calls too early or too late about something totally and completely un-important.

And of course, if your house is on fire, you are in jail, or you need to remind me about something I have to be to at 8, then by all means, please call.



But for everyday phone calls, what is the appropriate cut-off time?

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Me being a way early riser and knowing the bulk of the people in my life are not (or if they are they have their kid morning routine) I won't call before 9:00 unless I know their deal and it's established I can call at 8:30. Even if I call at 9:00 I always ask, "Is now an ok time to talk?" That way they don't dread my call, they can simply say yes or no. As for night it's kind of the same thing. 9:30 for people I don't know and 10:00 for people I do know or later if that's established. OR I text to see if they're still up. Yup, those are my time standards.

Aimee said...

I have worked at dental offices a good majority of my working life and have had the same question as I have been calling to confirm appointments for the coming days. If they have a work number I can guess they are around by 8am but what if they only have a home number??? If so, I have said that 9am is about the time that most non-teenagers would be up and at least making coffee or something. So I didn't start doing my calls until then.

I am with Kris on the 9:30-9:45 night call unless you are close with them. 10 is pushing it.

I hope the neighbor got the point.

Unknown said...

I am going to say 8 or 8:30 am at the earliest. That is because my kids don't wake up till then which means I don't wake up till then. However, if you know with a surity that your friend (or whoever) is most definately awake then I guess you could call her.

Now, Eric and I routinely look at each other with a crazed look when anyone calls our house after 9pm. This means we are old. I accept that. But come on, we have kids! However, I welcome calls on my cell phone anytime. If I don't want to answer them, I don't and they don't disturb anyone else.

Pretty much my opinion is that if you have to call before 8am or after 9pm, call the person's cell phone. ESPECIALLY if they have children.

Jo said...

It always shocks me when people think they can call before 9:00 in the morning. I grew up in a household where you never called anyone before 9:00 am and never after 10:00 pm. If our house phone ever rang before 9:00 it was always assumed to be an emergency, or death. shame on the neighbor!

Plus, who call someone to see why they called if no message was left? That's weird in and of it itself!

Anonymous said...

I think that we should be able to deliver electric shock through the phone for anyone calling before 8:30 am - although i'm up long before that to accommodate the wife getting her beauty rest - i don't have anything to say to anyone outside my home before 8:30 or 9 in the morning, unless its an emergency - then feel free to call at 2 am...

naptime nostalgia said...

Okay, so I think the consensus here is 9 to 9 to be safe. I can live with that. Thanks for all your input peeps.