Tuesday, December 1, 2009

ON THE FIRST DAY OF CHRISTMAS. . .


Oh man, is that the smallest picture ever? Ha. Well, just go with it.


So, it's finally December!!! HOORAH!!! I literally can't even tell you how happy I am that it is now December. For lots of reasons. But mostly because I love all things Christmas. I know it kinda doesn't go with my pessimistic personality, but it's true. I love Christmas. Like, you know how most people have been pissed for weeks that Christmas stuff has been in stores since Halloween? Well, not me. In fact, I've been listening to lite FM 100.3's (haters beware) all Christmas fare for a good three weeks. I thought maybe, much to Hubs chagrin, that it might hurry the holidays along. Every time I get in to drive "my" car after he's driven it, I have to change it off of NPR and over to my fm 100. I mean, who needs depressing talk radio when you can listen to Frosty the Snowman over and over again. And no, I'm not joking.

So, there is a reason for this post. I swear. So, every year, my uber-thoughtful/crafty mother makes a sticker advent calendar for my kids to count down the days until Mr. Claus arrives. She did this every year growing up for me and my brothers, and now does it for my children. I know, I really do have the best mother ever. In fact, every year when she hands me the sticker calendar, it's almost like, now it's officially the Christmas season.

The only problem with this sticker calendar, is that there is only one. And I've got two feisty (I wonder where they get it?) small children who apparently can fight over stickers like it's no one's business. Most days there is in-fact two part sticker application (Thank You MOM!), but some day's there's not. And well, I just didn't want to hear whining this close to Christmas. It's just not right.

So, I went looking on the Internet for some different advent calendar ideas and came across this little Nativity Advent Calendar. Each day you add a different animal, or nativity participant, until Christmas Day when the Christ Child is added and your nativity is complete. So, I thought one kid could sticker every evening, and the other could add to our nativity. Wala. Harmony in the home.

So here is the link from theideadoor.

Print all these pages on heavy card stock. Color with color pencils and markers. (I did mine last night and I must say, it turned out lovely) I will post pictures later, sorry. Once all the animals, and people have been colored, then cut them all out individually. Then comes the fun part. Lamination baby! I love laminating things. It's almost a problem. Almost. Anyhoo, laminate all the parts, then cut those out. Be sure to laminate the stable on one sheet. Along with the nativity, the project comes with The Christmas Story, and a little saying along with an item to add to the nativity each day. I plan on just hanging the stable on the fridge next the the sticker calendar. Then just roll up some tape and tape each item/animal/person on the stable as directed. The great thing about this, besides it being absolutely FREE!! is that since I laminated it all, I will be able to use this again, and again. Making it sort of a new family tradition. And saving me money over and over again. Go me. One kid stickers. One kid adds to the Nativity. Brilliant!

So, I promise I will post pictures of the calendar this afternoon, I just don't have time right now thanks to my super-long rambling post. Plus, I wanted to give you plenty of time to get it made so you and your kids can start adding to the nativity advent tonight.


Happy Christmas people, and Happy Advent-making as well!

No comments: