Monday, December 7, 2009

THE DECISION


Well, as you probably guessed. Yes, I am pregnant. And since this blog o'mine is sorta like also my journal, cause I'm lazy, here is where I'm going to put down into words my thoughts about our decision to get pregnant. Feel free to read or not read. It will probably be very wordy and boring. Just so you know.

So I know most of you are probably thinking that I've lost my mind. Which, I just might have. I know I said I wouldn't be having any more kids. Ever. And in all honesty, I really, really wanted this to be the case. . . for a long time. And really, it's not because I'm some kid-hater or something, it's just that well, I honestly, HATE, despise, loathe really, being pregnant. For me, it's just no fun whatsoever. So, when Hubs and I started throwing around the idea of having more children we started off really slow. First it was, "Oh our kids are so easy now. Everyone can buckle themselves in by themselves. Everyone can poop and pee by themselves. Everyone can get themselves dressed and entertain themselves." And perhaps if I'd been wise, I would have said, "Yes, and why go ahead and mess it all up?" But instead I said, "Yeah, they are getting easy, and it would be nice to maybe start possibly discussing having another."

So we did. We discussed. And at first, I was really only interested in adoption. I mean, let's be honest here people. I hate pregnancy so much, that at first, the only way I was willing to have another child in the family was if someone else carried, and birthed it. Seriously. That was the place I was in. So we talked about it. And decided that it was a good thing. Figured we were good parents, and could provide a nice home for a baby that someone else wasn't quite ready for yet. We got all the paper work for it, and then when it came time to submit and get serious, well, it just didn't feel right for some reason. I started thinking about all those people who can't get pregnant, and who really, really want to adopt a baby. And would I, selfishly, be taking one of theirs? I mean, I was perfectly capable of carrying my own child, I just really didn't want to. Now, I'm not saying this isn't a completely valid reason for adoption, just for us, it didn't really feel right. Ya know?

So, then we talked about foster care for a short time, and then, after all this discussing somewhere amongst it all miracle happened, and I decided that it would in fact be nice to perhaps be pregnant again and have another child. And really, the only thing I can think is that it had been so long since I'd been pregnant (3.5 years) that my brain had forgotten all the terrible things about pregnancy and newborns. You see, it's just that I get incredibly sick when I'm pregnant. I don't mean to complain, but maybe actually I do. It's just absolutely the pitts. Feels like I am on the verge of barfing ALL. DAY. LONG. But for 8-EIGHT!!! weeks! It's insane. And the only thing that even remotely sounds good to eat are carbs. And the bad kind. Not vegetables and fruit. But bread, and English muffins, and party pizzas ;) And while I'm eating it's like the nausea miraculously subsides. And the minute I stop eating-- it comes back with a vengeance. And so, you can understand why I tend to gain a bit too much weight. And by a bit I mean, like seventy pounds. With each. And although I'm no brainiack, I'm pretty sure this is partly why pregnancy sucks so bad for me. I mean, carrying around 70 plus pounds is pretty darn miserable.

So, where was I? Oh yes. We decided to start trying. So, I get my IUD pulled (which is another post in and of itself. Let's just say after two doctors, one ultra-sound and one x-ray it was finally out). But this was right around the time I was going to see all the doctors about my ear. They had put me on some diuretics to see if that might help, but since you aren't supposed to take those while you are pregnant--we decided to postpone really trying for a few months so I could see if the diuretics would help at all. After two months, and no difference we decided to go ahead and start trying to get pregnant. And since with Thing 1 we got lucky on our first try, and Thing 2 was pretty much a surprise (I was still nursing Thing 1), I figured we wouldn't have any problems. Well, that wasn't exactly the case. I knew the IUD I'd had in for 3.5 years had messed up my hormones, but I didn't know exactly how much.

We tried for about six months with no luck. It was so interesting going through that time period. Going from not really wanting something (pregnancy) to by the end, just wanting it so badly. Why wasn't it working? Was I broken or something? And I immediately for the first time understood, if even only slightly, what it was like to want to have a baby, but for some reason your body wouldn't make it happen. Living my life in two week incriments was very insightful. Two weeks to ovulation. Two weeks till test time. So frustrating, yet so humbling at the same time. So, after six months of trying I decided to go and get my hormones tested. And finally I had an answer. All of my hormones were completely out of whack. That IUD had really screwed me up. My estrogen was too low. My progesterone was too low, and I had absolutely NO traces of testosterone at all. And well, this combination doesn't make for very fertile eggs. Pretty much she was surprised I was ovulating at all. So she put me on some all-natural plant-based hormones and wadaya know? That first month on them I got pregnant. Fabulous.

Then the nausea kicked in and I've been in hell ever since.

No. Just joking. But that's how it happened. How I went from being totally ambivalent about having a baby, to wanting a baby so badly, to now, not knowing if it was such a grand idea. I'm sure this feeling will subside along with my nausea. Hopefully.


I just want to thank all of you who commented on my last post or on face book with congratulations. It feels really great having so many wonderful friends and family out there who support me.

Thanks bloggers!

12 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm glad you shared. What an interesting process for you. I am glad to hear all the hormones worked out. That is the second time in a week I have had someone tell me the benefits of getting your hormones tested. So I might just become a believer.

I am excited for you to be a mom of three. I'm sure it will look very good on you. :) Plus if you have a little one I won't feel so behind the game when my eggo is prego too. :) Keep your fingers crossed for 2010.

Kim said...

yay congratulations! I loved hearing your story it made me feel better about hating the whole pregnancy thing too! And that's pretty amazing about your whole iud situation and your hormones I'd never thought of that I'm so glad it all worked out and really excited for you July is the perfect time for a baby!

The Gearheads said...

First off, congrats on the pregnancy.
Second, I would like to say I commend you on your bravery. I have been told that going from two to three is like having four more children added to the family, you are brave to be willing to tackle this.
Third, my heart goes out to you for the 40 weeks of loathing you have to endure, may it go by quickly for you and leave you with half the weight gain as the last two.

Lastly, loved your word puzzle.

Lisa said...

Congratulations! I'm at 34 weeks and now the morning sickness is a distant memory. Amazing what time can do. When you are in it, it is miserable! Hang in there!

marcie b said...

thank you for being honest and for validating so many of the feelings i have had along the way. somedays i honestly don't know if i can do this again, but i figure i will just cross (or not cross) that bridge when i come to it. it sounds like, despite the sick, sick, sickness, you are ready and excited to welcome another little person into your life and i think that is great. thanks also for your post about the rocker. we did a great deal of debating about this, and since the room we have is quite small and we have two really comfortable oversized chairs with ottoman in our main room that won't fit in the nursery, but will probably be the place most of the nursing/cuddling takes place, the rocker is really just to have somewhere comfy to sit in the itty bitty room when we need it. longest sentance ever...didn't have the energy to figure out how to break it up. anyhow, i totally get what you are saying, it just didn't make sense to spend $ on something that was so specific, wouldn't fit in the room if it was too big and wouldn't fit my 6'2" husband if it was too small. so we decided to start with what we have and go from there...oh and got the rocker for a steal so if it doesn't work for this it will just find another place in our life and we will move on. blah, blah, blah. thanks so much for your advice and sorry for what is now the longest post ever. would you like me to bring you some freshly baked rolls? they are my bad carb of choice.

hannah said...

Congratulations - I totally relate to this post! I am currently thinking about having a third and I too get extremely sick when pregnant. I had to be on an IV at home for 4 months last time!! Part of me thinks I am crazy but the other part of me feels like it is meant to be?!?! However, I have an IUD too so now I am worried! Thanks for sharing.

Jo said...

CONGRATULATIONS AMY!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vonmertoes.net/][img]http://bariossetos.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]construction software sales, [url=http://hopresovees.net/]kaspersky trial[/url]
[url=http://vonmertoes.net/][/url] adobe photoshop cs3 installation lost cd autocad for mac
coreldraw engraver rortary [url=http://bariossetos.net/]adobe software list[/url] software like macromedia
[url=http://bariossetos.net/]software at discounted[/url] coreldraw x
[url=http://vonmertoes.net/]filemaker pro developer recover[/url] filemaker pro 9 crack
european academic software award [url=http://bariossetos.net/]Extended Mac Retail[/b]

Deming Family said...

How exciting! Congratulation! I am so excited for you all! I loved reading your thoughts on it all.

Breklyn said...

AHHH, CONGRATS!! Apparently I haven't read the blog in awhile (let alone update my own) and I missed your very clever little word game...loved it. Thanks for sharing your story, as many can relate. Hope the sickness passes soon but enjoy those fabulous CARBS, tis the season anyway! So exciting...

Suzanne said...

Congratulations Amy! That is such great news! I really am thrilled for you guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the whole process...each pregnancy seems to have its own story, and it gives you a different perspective on things. You will do great. You will be in a much better place than me because your kids are so self-sufficient. They will be great older siblings. And they will love having a baby in the house! There's just nothing like it. How exciting!

Jenny said...

I'm so excited for you guys. You are a wonderful Mom.