Saturday, September 12, 2009

PREP

I just got finished reading this book, and let me just say for the record, that I really enjoyed it. I hesitated posting about it because of it's controversial content, but I just can't stop thinking about it. And that is how I know it's not just a good book, but a great book. If it leaves you thinking, wanting more, and wishing there was a sequel. A little warning though friends, if books had a ratings system, I'm sure this would be rated R. There is strong language and sex so if you decide to read this book, be prepared for that.
That all being said, from the moment I opened this book I was completely and totally sucked in. I read it start to finish in about 48 hours. Needless to say, I'm fairly tired, but feel as though the lack of sleep was well worth it.
Love her or hate he,r Lee Fiora is the epitome of teenage angst. I loved Curtis Sittenfeld's writing. So real, and honest. Took me right back to those awkward teenage years. And as much as I never want to live those years again, I enjoyed my 2 days back in teenage hell. Plus, I found it somewhat insightful since I had a best friend head off the boarding school at 14, and I could for the life of me, never understand why. And although, I couldn't relate to all of Lee's experiences, I found the author's writing style, and prose absolutely intriguing. And I can't wait to start in on another one of her books.
So yeah, if you are looking for a new read, give it a go, just don't say I didn't warn you.

4 comments:

bingham 5 said...

Can't wait to read it - thanks for the recommendation

Lisa said...

I thought this was a fun read as well. I couldn't believe how well the author could get back in a teenagers head. I felt like I was stepping back in time, and liked it for two days as well.

Lisa said...

P.S. Are we friends on Goodreads yet? I'll have to check to see if you are friends with Aimee.

Jo said...

So excited to read something new. Thanks for the scoop Amy!