Wednesday, June 4, 2008

LOOKING BACK vol. 1

Okay, so I decided to start a new little monthly series for myself entitled, Looking Back.

It will be open letters to my children, about the past month. Things they did, things I learned, things we will never do again. I hope these to be a little bit entertaining to you readers, but mostly, I hope they make my kids grin when they grow up. Okay, here goes nothin':



Dear Children,

Hi kids, it's me your crazy, hair-brained mother. And I thought I'd start a little monthly volume all about your lives, our highlights together and things that just plain made me giggle. I like you that much. So much so, that I hope I never forget all the fun times we have together. Cause frankly, you both rock.

May ot-eight was an especially interesting month. And the weather sure kept us on our toes. One day the sun was out shining like it was summer, and so we took full advantage. Blew up the HUGE pirate ship pool that we picked out together at Tarjay and we had an enjoyable time spraying each other with water, running through the Elmo sprinkler, sliding down the slide, and eating our home-made Popsicles (made out of vegie juice--ha ha. My little joke on you.).

The next day however we found ourselves holed up inside watching the rain and mother nature's downpour. You both sang "Rain, rain go away, come again another day." and "It's raining it's pouring the old man is snoring. . . " till I secretly wanted you both to loose your voices. Instead we just made Rice Krispie treats, so I could get some quiet. And that gooey marshellowy goodness did just the trick. Makes for lots of chewing and therefore full/quiet mouths.

May was a big month for you Thing 1. Unfortunately (mommy is still crying on the inside about this) preschool came to a big too-abrupt halt this month. Not sure why really, since the rest of the school in still in session until June, but oh well. You have missed your friends and ask me almost daily if you can go back. Unfortunately for everyone the answer is no. Mommy is waiting very patiently for the weather to decide it's summer so we can head to the neighborhood pool soon.

You also kicked some major heiny in your weekly tee ball games. We have been so impressed with your maturity. The league is for 4 and 5 year-olds, but you are doing so well, being the youngest, yet tallest child on the team. You can really smack that ball far, and I really think it makes your father secretly so relieved that you aren't into dance or something. Plus, you are good at and like something that he loves. It has been a joy of mine this month to watch you and your father play hours upon hours of catch and "baseball." And it has been so fun to have Auntie Jen, Uncle Scott, Kinnley, Grandma Rossi & Grandma & Grandpa Plant come and watch your games. Your family really loves you.

Your enthusiasm for terrifying your sister has taken an all-time high. You enjoy pretending to be a different animal everyday and sneaking up on her. And in your best, most loudest voice, scare the living daylights out of her. Which you love. Because of this, you have been spending more time in your room lately than I'd like. When you are being nice though, you let your sister be a mountain lion/ cougar / tiger with you and you roam around the house, climbing over the backs of the couches and pouncing all over everything. It makes me smile when you play nicely with your sister. Oh, how she adores you.

Speaking of sister. Thing 2 you are a joy to me daily. You have the sweetest voice, and it sparks such happiness inside of me, when I hear your little girl voice say "Mommy, I love you." It really melts my heart. I am not sure why, but you would much rather wear boy clothes than girl ones. Any Lightening McQueen t-shirt, Spider man, or Batman, really any of Camden's t-shirts are much preferred over your own. Except, under one condition. If the shirt I offer you is pink. Then you will wear it. Because apparently to you, pink is the most fabulous color around. And really, although I haven't been much of a fan in the past, your enthusiasm is beginning to rub off.

You love to read, and can often times be found in your room amidst a pile of books. I hope this continues to be something you love to do for the rest of your life. I have been to some amazing places and feel like I've experienced some amazing things thanks to the magic of reading. I hope you find this to be true as well. One of my favorite things this month was seeing how much you have your father tied around your little finger. He would do anything for you, and really does. I can see a special daddy/daughter relationship beginning to form, and it is all I have ever wanted for you.

Both of you were able to have a weekend with just Daddy while I went away to recharge my batteries with the girls. And apparently I wasn't missed too much. I fear you ate too much sugar, and didn't exactly get to bed on time, but you had a great time with your Dad and that is what counts. Then at the end of the month you were both scheduled to go on an overnight camping trip with Daddy and some friends from the neighborhood, but Thing 2, you came down with a 24 hour flu bug, so it was just Thing 1 and Daddy. They had a great time sleeping in the tent, eating hot dogs, and waking up at 5 a.m. (you sure are an early riser!).

All in all, this month has really been full of lots of fun adventures. Thing 1 you told me just today that you would like to be The King (from Cars) when you grow up. Then Thing 2 you spoke up quickly and said you would like to be Lightening McQueen when you grow up. And this is a perfect example of how life is now. Monkey see monkey do a bit different. And it is making my job quite delightful and very entertaining.


Thing 1, be nice to your sister. And remember it really is more fun to play together, than to sit in time out. Thing 2, please remember that whining is no fun for anyone.

I love you both, and enjoy watching the people you are turning in to.

Until next month. . . .


Mom

No comments: