Friday, May 9, 2008

PRODUCT JUNKIE Daily Bread



So, if you are anything like me, whenever you hear the words food storage you just mostly just pretend you didn't. That's right. I used to be one of those non-practicing food storage Latter-Day-Saints. Gasp! The shock. Sinead O' Rebellion. That's right. I admit it.
Even though many, many righteous men & women have told me "Be Prepared", I just couldn't. Or didn't. Or didn't want too. Honestly, even the thought or idea, or (even worse) a lesson, on food storage was enough to have me run into the cultural hall and slam my head against the brick walls over and over again.
In the past this concept has been just too difficult to wrap my little catastrophe-avoiding mind around. I mean, yes, I am aware that I'm supposed to have a food storage. And yes, I'm aware that I live VERY CLOSE to a fault line. And yes, I see the wisdom. But no, I don't want to discuss it.
I guess I just figured if there ever was a real need, or calamity or something, I'd just walk the mile and a half to my parents house and eat theirs. Except well, now it's not quite that easy. You see, I'd have to drag my three year old and two year old all the way there too, and share it with them and all (I hope you can hear the sarcasm in my voice people). Plus, my parents have had theirs since I was a kid, so really I would be petty scared to open up those boxes. I think I'd rather starve.
There are just so many good reasons for me NOT to have it. Well, firstly, to be quite honest I don't cook. Seriously. Some people say that to sound cool or something, but no really, I can't cook. At all. Ever. And when I do, it's bad. So I've just decided to stay away from it altogether. (No, we don't eat out every meal. Lucky for me Hubs is a fantastic cook.) So usually in the past when I've thought of food storage I've thought of those 500 pound barrels of wheat sitting in some one's basement. Oh great. What on earth am I going to do with 5oo pounds of wheat? Grind it? Yeah right. Bake it? In what? In my opinion if things are so bad, that I am desperate enough to resort to my barrel of wheat, then I doubt I'm gonna have an electric grinder, or an oven to bake that darn wheat in. So then, I guess I could just have to eat the wheat kernels raw. Nah, I think I'd rather die. So that whole idea, was out.
And Hubs idea of food storage was alot easier. So easy in fact, its almost non-existent. And it's super cheap, well, free really. You don't have to store anything, or bake. Yes, his idea of food storage was keeping all the past episodes of Survivorman and Man Vs. Wild on our DVR. Hmmm. Yeah.
Yes, there are other ways to go about food storage. Like my previous method. 700 cans of Spagettios in my pantry. Yum. But then I realized that 3 months on Spagettios was going to be about as much fun as eating the raw wheat. Plus, I guess I hear that Spagettios don't last forever (shock!) so eventually you have to replace them, and yadda yadda. You can see why all my previous attempts at gaining a food storage haven't been so successful.
Until . . . .
I heard about Daily Bread. They are a little company that started after the recent Asia tsunami tragedy. A few guys who were friends realized that their families were really unprepared in the case of an emergency and so they sought out a way to obtain a food storage. (Been there done that.) But they quickly ran into some of the problems I had. The expense, obstacles of storing it (not enough space, rotation, etc.), how long it would last, and how to use it. So they started looking into freeze dried foods. Okay, so I know what you are thinking. But stay with me. Are you having bad flashbacks to your scouting days when you had to try an MRE? Well, these are much the same, except they taste really, really good. I promise.
Basically what they are is freeze dried food. And all you have to do is add water. Seriously. If it's hot water, they taste better, but really, hot water, and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then, walla, you have a meal. This is my kind of cooking. No measuring, grinding, kneading, or baking. Just open, pour, stir, open, eat. Simple right? But the best thing about all of it, in my humble opinion, is the fact that it lasts TWENTY FIVE YEARS!!! Did you get that? 25 Years!
That's right. No rotating the food. No worrying about the food being bad, or opening it up to only find weavels or something gross. Nope, it's completely good for twenty five years, and in most cases, even longer. And if you even think for a minute in 25 years it won't taste that great, guess what? You are wrong. It tastes the same today as it will then. And speaking of taste. . .
It really is good. Vegetables, meat, potatoes. The good stuff. And are you worried about the price? Well, you shouldn't be. It's only about $2.30 a serving. That's pretty darn good. We got our family set up for an entire years worth of food. And the best part? We didn't have to pay it all out in one lump sum, which has been another factor adding to our reasons we've been putting this off. Daily Bread is allowing us to pay it in a few monthly installments. Yay. In just a few short months, I'll be free from ever worrying about food storage again. At least, for 25 years. And storing it? It's all so small, that it fits under a bed, or in a closet even. No needing an entire storage or pantry for this stuff.
And the best part? No more nightmares of raw wheat or Spagettios for this girl. Nope. My family is covered. And ya know what? It feels great. It's nice to finally have that annoying "food storage monkey" off my back. And now, I won't be going to hell. Well, at least not for not having food storage for my family. Now I can say "Yes !"with pride in my temple recommend interview when asked about food storage.
Okay, so if you are at all interested in getting more information, you can head on over to their website, or if you live in the Land of Zion you can just give this super friendly guy that sold us ours a call. His name is Zach Brown. His phone number is 669-6094. Or you can e-mail him at bwrestler13o@gmail.com. I swear I do not get a single dime if you call him. But you still should. Just to taste the stuff. Cause really, I now know your families food storage plan is to come over to my house in the case of an emergency, but you know we won't be just letting that stuff go for free. Hey we are Christians, so we'll barter. And just so you know we really like the white and pink frosted circus animal cookies with the sprinkles.
You are welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just for future reference, it's "voila" not "walla"