Tuesday, February 2, 2010

VALENTINES DAY FHE

Family Home Evening. A day late and a dollar short. Sorry about that.


I totally spaced that yesterday was Monday. FHE didn't even cross my mind. How pathetic is that? Our first FHE we've missed this year. So much for that resolution! And I had a whole awesome lesson and activity planned and everything. Oh well. Monday night FHE turned into Tuesday afternoon FHE. I think it still counts.


So I got this idea off of Blond Designs Blog, where she has printed up for the holiday season these adorable I LOVE tags. And I decided that we would make mailboxes for each of us, and then everyday, till Valentines Day, we would write something we love about someone else (or everyone else) on the I LOVE tags, (ex: I love your smile. I love your laugh. I love the way you sing. etc.) and then put them in the appropriate mailbox. Then, on Valentines day morning during our heart pancake bonanza we will get all our "love mail" out of our mailboxes and read them together.


So far this has been a real hit with the kids. They loved decorating their mailboxes, and they love writing the love notes, and mostly they love delivering them. I got all my supplies at The Dollar Tree for under $5. Package of six Manila envelopes, package of glitter glue, package of heart stickers, package of foam valentines stickies, and 6 magnetic clips.


So the kids spent a good hour and a half decorating their mailboxes while I cut out about 4 sheets of the I LOVE tags that you can get here. Then, after much debate between the refrigerator and our back door (the back door won--who knew it was even magnetic?), we hung up our mailboxes, and started in on a few pieces of mail each.
Thing 2 decorating away.

Thing 1's finished product. And well, let's just say I'm pretty sure he won't be majoring in art in college.





Cutting up the tags.








My finished product. Aren't you impressed?


Thing 2 made one for Dad. Isn't it beautiful?



The I LOVE tags are hung next to the mailboxes for easy access.


The finished product. Our Valentines Mail Door.
If you have small kids, you might want to give this a go. You probably have most of this stuff in your house anyhow. I thought about small leftover envelopes we had, but went for the bigger ones cause I thought it would be funner to decorate them. If you have markers, glitter glue, and some assorted left over stickers then you are all set. And I am sure you could just tape up your mailboxes, and once you print, and cut out the tags, you are in for a fun project for only free ninety nine. That's a good price my friends for a ready made Valentines day kid-friendly project.
Happy Valentines Day Friends!

No comments: