Thursday, February 11, 2010

THE JOURNEY TO A NURSERY

So, just mulling a few ideas around here, for the baby nursery, and I'd love your input.

So, I have decided to make my own crib bedding for baby #3. And since this is mostly the jumping off point for the rest of the nursery, I thought I'd start here. Since we gave away our other crib sets (for thing 1 & 2), and the ones I keep seeing in the stores and online for boys are either dorky jungle animals and race cars (no offense if that's what you like, it's just not my style) or $400 and up for a modern looking set. And well, I just don't wanna fork out that kinda cash, especially when I'm not even going to use the bumper or blanket (sids hazard). So I decided I can make a crib skirt and fitted sheet lickedy split. Pretty easy really. And for a lot less cash.

But my other problem has been finding boy-friendly fabrics that aren't cheesy or have automobiles or bears, or rattles all over them. I can find lots of modern boy fabrics (think Amy Butler, Michael Miller etc.), but the problem is, they usually have flowers or birds on them. And I don't want flowers. Or birds. What I want is modern, clean, simple, and unique without being too geometrical. Is that too much to ask?

So, I have found one fabric that I really like at Piper's Quilts, but it's $24 bucks a yard, and well, that's just a lot. But it's still cheaper than the $400 options, since it takes only about 2.5 yards for a skirt, and I have found a $5 a yard fabric I like for the sheet, and that is only 2 yards per sheet. But even $25 is a lot since I will only use the crib skirt for about 9 months (till baby can stand) and then we will move the mattress down, and no longer need a skirt. So, is it worth $60 for use of only nine months? Oh decisions decisions. I also found another fabric that I LOVED at a design store, it was light turquoise with orange koi fish on it, but it was $96 a yard. Um, no thank you.


So, then I put my thinking cap on, and started to think outside the box a bit. I thought what if I bought a sturdy plain cream fabric (canvas maybe?) that is cheap ($5-10/yard) and stencil on it? This would actually solve a lot of problems because the color combinations I am loving now, aren't to be found in any modern prints. Plus, it's fresh, unique, cheap and easy. And no one else will have the same bedding -- even if they made theirs, and so his room will be, just his.

I have rustic brown furniture, a cream chair and flakati rug, and I'm thinking grey walls. With that neutral background it leaves me pretty wide open for small amounts of color to be added here and there, since my basics are pretty neutral. I am thinking that I really like a creamy orange with pops of turquoise, but it's been hard to find. I also really like red too. But not with orange and turquoise.

Then I came across this stencil book by Lotta Jansdotter at Barns & Noble and picked it up. It has the most modern, unique, gender-neutral stencils. Most of which are not even intended for a nursery, which is exactly what I like. And I wouldn't go overboard, but maybe a few stencils on the crib skirt in one color, and the same stencil in cream along one wall, and maybe the smae stencil on a pillow in the chair. Repeating, simple theme, but not really. Just to tie it all together. She has a really nice leaf stencil I love, or these patterned circles I thought would be good. Just some thoughts.

Anyhow, this is the book. {On a side note, I am so tempted to cut my hair like hers. This is what I originally wanted last time I cut my hair (think long pixie in front), but I wussed out and went for an easy shoulder-length do. I wanted to wait until I was no longer prego and had lost some of my weight, but I'm thinking this short do, would be great with a brand new baby. So, who knows, maybe Lotta will be more of an inspiration than I thought. }




My other options for the walls instead of doing them all grey paint with a few stencils, is to do wallpaper on one wall. (Now, for those of you like Hubs who are thinking grey is going to make the room look tiny and small, please know that I'm not thinking of going super dark, and the room has two windows, a large closet, and with a crib, rocker and changing table, there really won't be that much wall showing.) I am not really into patterned wallpaper so much, but I love these simple, textured wallpapers I found. They aren't wild, but give interest and add a touch of texture in the room. And, most importantly, it doesn't scream boy or baby.

These are some of the different textures. Think of these in grey, only behind the one wall with the crib, so as to not over do it, and the other walls painted in a matching grey. Also, I love this wallpaper, cause I could still easily hang a picture or painting on the wall over it, since it's still fairly plain. I really enjoy that layered, texture look.











I know this is a jumble of mess and ideas, but I thought I would throw my ideas out there, and see what y'all thought. My overall idea is a simple, modern-ish, yet comfy, light room that doesn't look anything like a nursery except for the fact that there is a crib in it. Any ideas, thoughts, or vetos are surely appreciated.
Oh, and yes, I am planning on taking before and afters of the room once it is all said and done. I always have a lot of ideas when it comes to decorating, and usually I have one idea, let it ruminate a bit, and then find myself being inspired by something else entirely and then I tweak my thought and design completely till it's exactly where I want. It's a good thing I've got a good 5 months before Number three arrives.



4 comments:

bingham 5 said...

I am not a fan of wallpaper at all. I love stencils and vinyl because you can change it as the baby grows. I love gray, especially that dark blue gray color. Good luck!

Lisanne said...

If you still want to find some fabric, try Material Girls in South Jordan.

Sophia said...

I second that, Material girls has so much good fabric. Love the gray idea! And I like Wallpaper.

Jen said...

Yes, that is absolutely too much to ask. Which is why I was a little disappointed when I found out I'm having a boy. What does the world have against good-looking little boy stuff that doesn't involve trains and baseballs?? Love all your decorating ideas, btw. And I really like the textured wallpaper.