Wednesday, January 28, 2009

EPIPHANY


Yesterday, Thing 2 got the unusual pleasure of attending dance class on a Tuesday since she had a makeup for a class she had previously missed. After she got her tights, leo and skirt on, she usually likes to go and look at herself in the mirror (of course). Yesterday was no exception.
As she was standing there admiring herself, she said: "You are the most beautiful princess dancing girl in the {whole} wide world. You are so pretty, and look like glitter. Your hair is yellow and beautiful and straight just like mommy's."
{Insert sigh here}
And it hit me. How do I hold onto that? Bottle up that self-esteem? How do I provide an environment where she will always feel that way about herself? Because it is the absolute truth. She is amazing. And gorgeous. And smarter than any two-year old I know. She says the most amazing things. She talks about animals that are nocturnal for hecks sake. And carries her purse with her everywhere full of bows. You know, just in case. She says to me multiple times a day that, "Girls love bows." (Thanks to her I currently have three in my hair. :)).
I absolutely love who she is as a person. Sweet as pie, but stubborn as a goat. She lightens my heart, and reminds me daily that I should be thrilled I'm a girl. Because she certainly is. I love this age. And her sweet, innocent confidence. I hope she can always have this type of self-esteem. Knowing just how fabulous she is. It is so refreshinly beautiful. I only wished I could see myself in the same light when i look at myself in that same mirror. What a lesson. What an example.
Isn't it amazing the things our children can teach us? Today I am grateful for the simple pleasures that come from being able to experience the gift that is motherhood.
Namaste.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I can't wait to be a mom and have moments like this.

I agree about the self-esteem piece. Working at this treatment center this last year I couldn't agree more about how self-esteem shapes who we become. I wish I could bottle up that confidence your daughter has as she looks in the mirror and give it away free at every street corner. I would give a little to myself too.

You should read Reviving Ophelia before Thing 2 becomes the age of 10. It is valuable for moms to read chapters of this book in my humble opinion. It is an easy book to skim through and read the good sections.

Nice post as always.