Monday, April 21, 2008

RIP OUTLET SHOPPING



Okay, so beware, I am about to let my pessimistic side run wild, so if you are an overly optimistic person, or a new reader, or prefer happy people, just know that I can't help it.

So, last Friday I thought it might be fun to round up the troops and head up to the Tanger Outlets in Park City. I usually love to go up to the outlets to do a little shopping now and again. Who can resist a new running shoe or pair of cheap shorts? I love to get out of the city, and head up the canyon, where the air seems just a bit clearer, and the prices a bit lower. And really, who doesn't love a bargain?

Well, prepare yourself friends, because now is where my lament will begin. As we were perusing the outlets, if I can even call them that anymore, I took one look around and announced: "These Aren't Outlets!" (By the way, no one cared. Not even hubs. He kept right on shopping. ) For Real. Where did all the outlets go?

And then I found myself in a quandary. Remember back in the day when you could head up to Park City and go in a store, and find last season's digg's for half the price? Well, my friends, that just doesn't happen anymore. Most of the stores up there, are just that. Stores. No outlet. No discount. It's like a big strip mall. Yuck! Seriously. There isn't one single store up there that even qualifies as an outlet. And in my book that means clothing from it's mother-store, but deeply discounted. But now, you just have stores that must have their own designers and their own lines. Because it just seems the clothes up there are now either a) not discounted, or b) they are crappy quality. I mean really, an Old Navy outlet? Does it get any more ridiculous?

I mean, I'm not sure really why this bugs me so much. It must be my vain, simple mind. Or maybe it's because I used to LOVE outlet shopping. But whatever the case, now, it's like just another mall. American Eagle, Children's Place, and Gymboree. Ugg. I can get that anywhere. And really, it would be fine, if the stuff was actually deeply discounted. But it's just not. And I can't stand it!

Now, I realize there are much more important things I could be brooding about. Things like global warming, abortion, and for darn sakes this RIDICULOUS war, but I just can't seem to understand where all the outlets have gone. And this upsets me. And no, people aren't dying because of it, but I just can't sleep well anymore knowing that outlets are becoming extinct.

What will I do? Where will I go to find the joy of bargain hunting? Online? Sure, Zappos, overstock, and Ebay have great deals, but there's not the twenty minute getaway, and the air? Not nearly as clear.

So, I guess my only option is to mourn the "outlet". Say good-bye and move on. May the joy of "outlet" shopping forever rest in peace.

1 comment:

Deming Family said...

That is funny. Matt and I went up there a couple weeks ago, and found the same thing. I spent WAY too much money and have practically nothing to show for it. Gap did have a few good deals, but like you said, it's not last years stuff by any means. I'm with you...truly tragic.