Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TUESDAY'S TIP OLIVIA. . . ON TV?!


Well, it's no secret that I love to read, and children's books are no exception. I thoroughly enjoy reading them to my children, and have regular story time daily. But my most very favorite ones (and the one's I always choose if given the choice) are the Olivia books by Ian Falconer. I just love that little pig. She adventurous, imaginative, and confident. And I love that. My most favorite page out of any of the 4 books in the series is in the first book. She is talking about school and how she has to wear this really boring uniform. But then, on the next page is this picture of her riding her scooter to school with her uniform on, but completely covered in accessories. At the bottom it says, "Of course you can always accessorize." When I read this page for the first time, it was love at first glance. Those of you who know me on a personal level know of my deep love of accessories. So, I knew right then and there that this pig was going to be a favorite.


We have been enjoying Olivia as she went to the circus, lost her missing toy and even when she shared Christmas with us. And when I first saw the ads on Nick Jr, that Olivia would be coming to TV, I have to be honest and say I was a little apprehensive. I didn't want to see them ruining this little gem. Would they be able to translate her dry humor from page to screen? How about her imagination? Would it come through? I was concerned to say the least. But I set my tivo anyhow. And last week the kids and I sat down together for Olivia's small screen debut. And. . .?






It was spectacular. Just like that red lipstick. I was pleased and the kids laughed and were thoroughly entertained to see their little book friend come to life. I am always a bit apprehensive when any story or book gets turned into a tv show or movie. But this time I wasn't disappointed. I tried to find a clip from youtube to put up so you to could experience the awesome-ness that is Olivia, but no one has posted any yet. So, I guess you'll just have to go the old school route and actually turn on your TV and check my little pig friend out. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.





1 comment:

Aimee said...

Great Tuesday Tip! I will have to record for the nieces and nephews.