Friday, October 17, 2008

TUESDAY'S TIP budget fun, part 2
















Okay, so I know I have already posted about this before, but I thought since I've recently had so many people asking me about my budget (due to the economy being in the crapper) that I decided Naptime was due for a new budget fun post. I even made a little video to go along with the post, but apparently blogger is having some serious issues uploading it, cause it's been trying now for two days. So, I decided to cut the video out and just type it all out.



Prepare yourselves people. This is a long one, but I promise, if you are in need of a budget, it will be worth it.





So yeah, the economy sucks. And pretty much everyone I know is freaking out about it. But you don't have to anymore. Now that you have some good budgeting advice.





Like I said the first time around, I put myself on the budget because I like to shop. There I said it. I dreaded being put on a budget, because it felt so restrictive, but now that I've been on it for almost a year, I'd say, if you work it right, it can be quite freeing.





So, in my last post, I wasn't very specific, and my friends have asked me to get specific, so I decided it can't really hurt right? Just don't judge me for my budget, and I won't judge you for needing one.





Okay, first off, my expandable folder (pictures above) is my wallet. I got my expandable folder at Smith Marketplace on 3300 S. in the school supply section which is behind the meat and prepared foods station. They are on the north wall next to the eating area. I think it cost me around $3. And this little thing is the hidden ingredient in my sucessful budget. No more check books, ATM cards, or *shudder* credit cards. Really. And I'm serious. If you want this to work, you have to STOP carrying your credit cards. Cause if you know they are there, you WILL use them. I do have a few, and I suggest, for instance, if you just can't imagine yourself using cash to buy gas, then take your credit card when you go to the gas station, and then go home. Take the credit card out of your wallet, and get on with life. You really can survive without it. Trust me. If I can do this, anyone can.





This budget, like I said, is all about cash. And since I have trouble rationing, I do mine weekly. Yes, that means a weekly stop at the bank, but that's okay, cause it saves me money and the kids like the free suckers. This is how I break it down people:





First opening: All your punch cards, zoo passes, museum passes. Anything that you've essential already paid for, or will pay you later.





First tab: Gift cards. I've found if you carry them, you use them. If not, they just sit around, and you forget you even have them. Plus, if we are out, and don't want to spend money on food, then we just look what gift cards we have, and go there.





2nd tab: Food. I take out $100 each week. I know some of you are wondering how I get by on that little (I don't cook), and some of you are wondering how we could spend that much. And really, it's not the number that counts. Just take your family's monthly food budget and divide it by four. That is your number. If it seems too high, and like you could save a little bit, then do. I've also found the key to saving money at the grocery store is to go with a list, and a weekly food plan (meals), so you are not buying food that you won't use, and aren't buying things you see that you think you might need.





3rd tab: Fun. I take out $100 each week. This again, might seem like alot to some, but this includes eating out, movies, bowling, basically any entertainment. And since we tend to eat out alot, this works for us. Plus, whatever leftover money we have each week from this tab and the grocery tab goes into a savings account for our vacations. So, if we really want to save some money we just cut back on our eating out, and walla. Instant savings.





4th tab: Gifts. This is the key to my budget. I take out $50 a week. Most weeks I don't use this money. But then I will have weeks where I have to buy 2 baby gifts, and three birthday gifts. This also gets used if I make a meal for a family in our neighborhood. Also any money I don't use goes into a gift fun to use for the kid's birthdays and Christmas. I really do have quite a bit of money saved up for Christmas this year. Which is really nice, knowing I don't have to come up with it from nowhere. And any money at the end of the year we don't use we will donate to a family in need, or an organization we feel strongly about. So, when I am out shopping for Christmas I know any time I can save money it will benefit a family in need.





5th tab: Amy. This is for me, obviously. I take out $50 a week. Okay, don't judge me please. I know this sounds like a lot. And it is. But trust me when I say that it was way less than I was spending before. Hey, now, I told you I had a problem. I'm on a budget for a reason. Sometimes I don't spend it and save it up for sales, but I'll be honest, usually it gets spent.





6th tab: Hubs. He gets $50 too. And if this seems like too much for your family, try $25. Just as long as each person gets some money where they can spend, with no questions asked. Good for the budget. Good for the marriage.





7th tab: Thing 1. He gets $25. This is for co-pays at the doctor, clothes, snow boots, new coats, shoes etc. Anything we don't spend, goes toward school, or summer clothes.





8th tab: Thing 2. She gets $25 too. Same rules apply as for thing 1. I take money out of her tab for her dancing class, for example.





9th tab: Ones. This is where I break all the twenties. Trust me, it's nice to have $25 or so in ones on hand when you are only working with cash.





10th tab: Receipts. Hang on to them. Just in case you need to return something, or want to really track your spending.





In total I take out $400 a week. $1600 a month. Sounds like alot, and it is. But honestly, before, my credit card statement was usually $2,000 a month. Now I'm embarrassed. This is alot, I know. And to go towards absolutely nothing. But now, I'm only getting out $16o0. And this covers everything. No finding money for Christmas, or Birthdays. No coming up with money for summer clothes or winter gear for the kids. And every time we don't go out to eat, or don't buy those chips at the grocery store we know we are putting money towards our upcoming vacations. The first few months of this budget we were saving around $400 a month to put toward vacations. Now, it's not quite as much, but I know it's possible.





It should be noted that this doesn't include our taxes, tithing, utilities, mortgage, or insurance. That stuff I pay online with my bill pay, so I can track everything. I know some people are wary of online banking, but I've had a really good experience. Oh, and for the record Costco is the budget devil. If you go there, without a plan or an allotted amount to spend, you WILL ruin your family budget. So, if you are like me, and think you need everything you see when you are there, then, (and here is a novel idea) just don't go. Seriously. I think I save more money NOT going to Costco then I do going. Buying in bulk is good for some things, but honestly, usually the food goes bad, or I forget I already have it, and buy another or whatever. If you think you can safely go to Costco, then by all means do, just PLEASE go with a number, and DON'T spend more. Heck, if you think you need it, you could even add a Costco tab, just make sure you again, are all about the cash. NO CREDIT CARDS EVER!!!





So, I hope for those of you that requested this post, this is what you were looking for. Embrace the budget people. It's good for you, and your marriage, and your children. And those of you without children, or who aren't married, it will be great to start a budget now, so when one day you are say, married with children, it won't be so hard to start one. Good Luck my friends, and happy budgeting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Eric and I were just talking about how you still are doing this!! Good for you! I am glad you went into detail about your "tabs" because I am thinking of doing the same thing. You have inspired me. Now I just have to figure out what amounts to put in each one. Thanks!

Jenny said...

I love it! Thanks for the detailed instructions.

The Hoddogs said...

I read this awhile ago and am just setting mine up tonight....super excited to use this system. Thanks for taking the time to give the whole shpill.