Monday, October 6, 2008

DOWNPOUR IN DIXIE


So, last weekend the fam took a little break and headed down south for a little fun in the sun. Or so we thought. I honestly, didn't even look at the weather before we left. I've been going down to St. George this particular weekend every year for about 20 years. And never once has it rained. Or been even a bit chilly. Usually we spend the weekend at the pool getting a tan. Well not this weekend.


Hubs, being the maniac that he is, decided he would run the marathon again. I think this was his 3rd St. George and 5th marathon overall. He decided this was the year, however he would try to qualify for the Boston Marathon, which meant that he needed to run the marathon in 3 hours and 10 minutes. Which is about a 7 minute 15 seccond mile--for twenty-six miles. Crazy, right?


Well, when the kids and I got up to get ready to head over to the finish line, and saw the downpour, I just about died. A) because I knew Hubs hadn't planned for rain and B) I hadn't planned for rain. Much worse for him, but pretty darn annoying for me. Luckily I threw in some sweatshirts for the kids when I quickly packed, and even more luckily they had hoods on them. Since the kids didn't go back to sleep after Hubs left for the start (at 4:45 a.m.) we got ready early and headed over and snagged the best parking spot I've ever had at the finish. We stayed in the car and watched a movie, until the clock read 2 hours and 50 minutes. Then we headed out into the downpour. We found a spot on the bleachers and waited. Well, 3:10 came and went, and I was just so bummed, but I knew they go by chip time, so if it took Hubs a few minutes to cross the start he would still have a chance. Well we were screaming our faces off when he crossed the finish at 3 hours 16 minutes. And I just prayed that it took him six minutes to cross the start. We got down off the bleachers and went to find him. And the moment I saw him, I knew. I was so bummed that he missed his goal by six measly minutes, yet I was so proud that he had run so well in the rain. Not to mention a wicked head wind. He was pretty sad, but I kept reminding him that he was a freaking maniac for finishing a marathon in the pouring rain in 3 hours and 16 minutes. I'm not sure it made him feel any better, but oh well. There is always next year right? Like my mom says, there's two ways to qualify for Boston. Get faster, or get older. Unfortunetly he has to run it in 3:10 until he turns 35. Then he has to do it in 3hours 15 minutes. I'm banking on next year it will be better weather and therefore will just be better running conditions. They said in the 32 years they've been doing the St. George marathon this was only the seccond time it has rained. Crazy, right?


Well, we took him back to the hotel immediately, cause he was shaking he was so cold. Unfortunetly, that meant that I didn't get to see my Mom finish (I think it was her like 16th or 17th St. George marathon) or my uncle ( it was his 20th St. George Marathon. Oh, and don't forget he ran TWO 100 mile marathons in the past 2 months. Yeah. Crazy.) which I was pretty bummed about. But I was more than happy to get out of the downpour myself.


We finished off the day with a nice yummy lunch (post marathon lunches are the best) and spent the rest of the afternoon laying around and playing at the pool. It ended up being a great weekend despite the rain. It was fun to get away with the fam, and even funner being down there and not having to worry about running it. On the way home we were discussing next year, and Hubs asked me if I'd ever want to run another marathon. And honestly, I just don't think so. I'm glad I've done a couple though. They were really fun, and challenging and an experience that I am SOOO glad I've had. Being able to push yourself that way, is really a eye-opening experience. But one I also hope to never repeat. I think either you have a long-distance runners body or you don't. My mom, Hubs, and my uncle do. I don't. And that's okay. Well, I guess I shouldn't really say never. Cause really, you never know. Maybe someday. But, I just don't think that someday is anytime soon. Unless, maybe I could get into the NYC marathon or maybe the Maui marathon. Then, maybe I'd think about it. I need serious motivation people.


But anyways, back to Hubs. Great job babe! I am completely in awe and amazed at your dedication and determination. I know you can do it if you set your mind to it. Next year sweetheart. Next year. I love you!




2 comments:

Aimee said...

I am always amazed at people who can do marathons. These short legs of mine just weren't created to run for long distances.

Congrats to hubs! That is amazing time.

Suzanne said...

Congrats to your hubby! That is an awesome time! After I heard that it rained throughout the whole race, I felt a lot better about not getting in. I think that might have sucked for a first marathon!