Sunday, October 12, 2008

PROPOSITION EIGHT

One of the things that I absolutely love about my family, and hope to be able to foster in my own family, is our ability to have good healthy discussions. Whether the topics are religion, politics, whatever, you know that a spirited discussion can always be had. I love hearing others points of view, and learning why they have those views. It's something I relish. Something to me, that makes life worth living actually.


And so today, while my aunt was over at my parents house, I took the opportunity to talk to her about proposition 8. My aunt is a resident of California, and so has been right smack in the middle of all the prop 8 hoopla.


For those of you that don't know about proposition 8, you can go here to learn more.


Now, when I first heard about proposition 8, it piqued my interest not only because of the strong stance my church has taken regarding it, but also because I fundamentally disagreed with that stance. Talk about conflict of interest. I just didn't understand why and how it was okay for a church, my church, to tell me, or anyone how to vote. It just kinda felt wrong. For lots of reasons. I really appreciate and value the separation of church and state. And I took issue with my church telling people how to vote, and strongly encouraging them to donate their money and time to www.protetmarriage.com where anyone and everyone could see exactly what they had donated. Hmmm. That gets to be sticky. Really sticky.


And honestly, I just didn't know how I felt about the whole thing. What on earth is the big deal? Who am I to say who can or can't get married? If two committed gay people want to marry each other, then I say hooray. Hooray for love, hooray for happiness. I just didn't understand what all the hoopla was about. I mean, I understood it from the gay side (www.noonprop8.com), don't we all deserve equality? Why deny them the same privileges that we enjoy?


And so I asked these questions to my aunt (a proposition 8 supporter), so I could learn and better understand. And it was a very enlightening conversation. I did a lot of listening, asked a some questions, and learned a few things about prop 8 that I thought were worth sharing.


First of all, I understand and realize that this is a really sensitive subject. And I hope that I don't offend anyone. If I do, please know that this was not my intention. Also, please know that the thoughts that follow, are not my own, but those of my aunt.


Okay, so her first main point was that this issue of defining marriage was already brought to the voters of California in 2000 (proposition 22) and was passed with a 61% of voters defining marriage between a man and a woman only. So, technically the people of California have already voted on this issue and have made their voice heard. Then in 2008 The California Supreme Court, by a vote of 4-3 overturned this ruling and decided that this violated the equal protection clause in the constitution.


She also stated that although they passed prop 22 back in 2000, they also passed civil unions there where gay couples are granted all the same legal rights as married couples. So,this isn't about gay couples not receiving the same rights, privileges, and treatments as heterosexual couples? Then I asked her, so this is about the definition of marriage, the word? And the answer is yes.



Her point was that if prop 8 goes through then religious organizations would have to allow their pastors, and leaders to marry gay couples. And since most christian religions believe marriage is between a man and a woman only, then it would give government the right to muddle in religious stuff. Because the minute one church group turns away the marriage of a gay couple, then that couple could sue the church/religion for breaking the law, and not giving equal opportunity (via the constitution).


And to be honest, I hadn't really ever seen it from that point of view. I have been so worried about my religion muddling in politics, that I never realized that the government would then be able to muddle in religion. Hmmmm. Although I understand this point, I don't think gay couples would necessarily be asking an organization to marry them who didn't support their actions, but she said this very thing has happened in Massachusetts. Hmmmm. Lots to think about.


She also said, that without prop 8 going through, that public school teachers would have to explain marriage as a union between a man and a woman, a woman and a woman, and a man and a man (like they now do in Mass.). Now, I'm not so sure how I feel about this argument. Because really, by the time my kids are in school I hope to have already explained all this to them. I don't see how this really impacts children negatively. But if you think it does, please comment and let me know. It just honestly isn't one of the arguments I understand.


We also discussed lots of other things about proposition 8. It was a very interesting conversation. One of the things I've been blessed with in life (or cursed, depending on how you see it), is that I can almost always see the other side of an argument, and sympathize with it. Must be the Libra in me. But in all honesty, I have struggled with this issue a lot. And I can't say that my opinion has necessarily changed, but my mind has been opened at least to the reasoning and understanding behind this issue.


I again, hope that I have not in any way, offended anyone by sharing my thoughts and my aunts thoughts about this sensitive topic. One of the things I love about living in this country is freedom of speech. Freedom to be able to discuss, write, and talk about the things that impact our lives. If you are so willing, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. And if you would like to remain annonymous, that's fine. So, fine naptime readers, what are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Aimee said...

Good evening, Amy. It's your loyal commenter Aimee.

So yeah, I have a lot of thoughts on this issue.

I too was very frustrated for the church for encouraging members to get involved in this issue. What happened to being non-partisan?

I don't understand the argument that same-sex marriage threatens our temple marriage. How can supporting monogamy between two people threaten members of the church? Most of the people wanting the same rights are NOT mormon. Why does this need to become our issue???

People who are trying to remain faithful in the church but are dealing with these feelings are in a different population than the general gay population. I do not think we can compare the two.

I feel that the members that struggle with same sex attraction have felt enough alienation from the church and this doesn't help in creating an environment in our church that fosters love and understanding for people in this struggle. I feel like our issue should be understanding these members more and teaching "tolerance and love" like the hymn In Humilty our Savior so beautifully states.

Where it hits home to me is that my very best friend from high school is in a long-term relationship with her girlfriend. She is not a member of our church and does not hold to the same morals as we do. I would never expect her to believe how I believe or do I feel like I being a heterosexual have any right to make laws for or against her because she is homosexual. Why should i feel like I can set rules for the way she wants to live her life?

I have come to love her girlfriend. She is a wonderful friend to me and loves one of my best friends so much. What more could I want? They truly have love and respect and are crazy for each other. They are planning to get married and I am planning on being there giving a toast to their love. Do I hope that they can have the same rights as Scott and I do as a couple, parents, home owners, and citizens of the world? YES, YES, YES I do.

I believe that all people are created equal. Black, white, yellow, orange, green, gay, straight, Jewish, Mormon, or Pagan - I hold to the beautiful ideologies of the constitution. If my friend decides that she wants to spend her life with another person - even if she is of the same sex - why should I oppose this? Why should she not have the same rights as me?

How is polygamy any different from same-sex marriage? They are both non-traditional ways of defining marriage. Our church should know better than anyone about the world trying to define how we want to marry.

So yeah, there you go. I have wrestled with the church getting involved for quite a while. It hurts my heart to be honest. I wish they would not direct members how to vote on this issue. Sigh.

Thanks for this post. You are brave. Sounds like a great, open discussion with your aunt.

I am done.

Anonymous said...

Amy, thank you for writing aobut this - its a difficult set of issues. here are my thoughts:

1) Everyone deserves the opportunity to go after their dream - the dream to be married, the dream to have a religion that they belong to, and for that religion to have the freedom to make its own choices as well.

2) My religious beliefs are based in Jesus Christ, not a church. If I respectfully disagree with my church's stance on a subject, I allow myself to do so. I think my church would respect my decision.

3) My marriage isn't in any way, shape or form discounted by sharing that word with others of the same sex using it to define their relationship between eachother. I love my marriage, and i want everyone to have the opportunity to have all of the rights and responsibilities that i have, if they want them.

4) My kids will learn about ALL the ways people interact - from me, from their friends, and potentially from their teachers. I worry about liberalism in the world, but i cant fight it all. I will either show my kids that we love everyone for who they are, or i show them that i'm scared to confront what is out there.

all in - i think prop 8 isn't the answer. We need to allow everyone their dream - both for marriage and freedom of religion. Just as amy says, i respect all others' views, regardless of its divergence from mine.

Jeff

Aimee said...

I wish we lived closer. I think we could couple date. I like you guys and how you view the world.

Great points on the issue, Hubbs.

Kristin said...

Starting with a big *sigh*--this is a very passionate topic for me. I have so many good friends that are lesbian and gay that I grapple and struggle. I have friends who just had a baby together, I have friends who have entered into a civil union, I have cousins who I love SO much.

I worked at LDS Family Services for a year and stopped working there with this issue being a main contributing factor. Super long story cut short, I just couldn't counsel someone from a perspective that they could be "fixed" because that implied they are broken.

I watched a show, 30 days, that places people in situations totally opposite to themselves. The episode I watched happened to be a mormon going to live with a gay couple with three cute foster children for 30 days. I was so irate at how ignorant and close minded she was I couldn't sleep and thought I was going to lose my mind!

It was this conversation that led me to go talk to my Momma-In-Law. I find she is a great, great source because she is liberal while grounded in principle. She pointed out to me this wasn't just about gays being able to or not being to get married; the implications were larger than that. She pointed out if "marriage" is legalized to all then you legally couldn't justify not allowing polygamy and all forms of "marriages." I hadn't really thought about that. She was all for civil unions, a different name to identify a different relationship...this made sense to me.

I think beyond the definition we have placed a value to the definition that makes these terms better than/less than rather than just different. Like you, my kids will be educated about the different relationships because they know the very people I know and love.

Kristin said...

One more comment based on Hubbs number 2 (that was a good point which I love when people recognize he difference between the church and the gospel/Christ)--Christ went after the 1 and did not hang out with the 99. If any of my friends, family, etc were being persecuted in any way I would definitely stand by them rather than the "group."

Anonymous said...

Just a quick link: http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/title-sum/prop8-title-sum.htm . this is from the state of california voter guide, so it should be non-partisan.

Unknown said...

After reading this blog and all the comments I know I have to say something but don't know what to say. I also am conflicted on this issue. I agree that it isn't my right to deny anyone "happiness" and yet I feel so strongly about what I believe is the definition of marriage.

Knowing my homosexual friends, I would never want them to be without what I have with Eric. Having that feeling of true commitment that will last and last and last means so much to me. Knowing that we have commited to be loyal to each other above anyone else is AMAZING! I think that everyone should have that.

But then again, God made MAN AND WOMAN and told them to be happy and multiply and replenish the earth. He told them to be happy. I have to think that he knew that THAT union is where we will find happiness.

This is a really tough thing to decide upon. I would never say that a gay couple wanting this level of commitment is wrong. I also don't know how to say it is right. Thanks for being so brave Amy! Impressive.

Alyson | New England Living said...

Sounds like I'm not the only one conflicted! I live only 5 miles from the Massachusetts border and I haven't heard of any issues with churches and marrying gay couples and I don't really understand how that could happen because a bishop can decided not to marry a couple. That is his right.

I'm a resident of Connecticut and gay marriage was just legalized here too. I don't know what the impact will be. I'm waiting and watching.

As far as the argument that teachers in school will have to explain marriage in a certain way, I don't remmeber ever being taught about marriage in school. Why would they even discuss marriage in school?