Wednesday, May 5, 2010

NESTING -- A CALL FOR HELP


So, here I am with just about 7 weeks to go, and I am absolutely in my nesting phase. Have been for a few weeks, but it's especially kicking in now. I'm feeling a big push to get the nursery done --just bought the paint yesterday--a nice warm grey, purchase any necessary baby gear, and be organized and ready for Thing 3 to make his arrival in June.

So, I was inspired by Design Mom's five posts about preparing for baby's arrival, and thought I would go ahead and do my own little version here right on Naptime. She divided hers into five different parts. Layette (things you'd need for clothing wise for baby), sleeping (cribs, swaddlers, etc.), bathing/diapering (cloth or otherwise), feeding (bottles, boppies etc.) and mom's needs (nursing, packing for the hospital etc.) I thought I'd just go ahead and lump mine into one post since I know there aren't zillions of you readers out there. Since it's been so long since I had a baby around - and we basically gave away ALL our baby gear, and I know a few of you that have just had babies, or are already seasoned moms, or frankly are just smarter than I am, so therefore, I would LOVE your input. So the question is:

WHAT BABY PRODUCT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND OR CAN'T IMAGINE LIVING WITHOUT?


In other words, what are the products that you reach for. For example for me, I hated the boppy, and just made sure I had a good pillow or two under my arms for nursing. I've heard Aiden & Anais swaddling blankets are great. And I'm looking into the Puj bathtub. I also loved with my first two those little onesies with the fold-over hands so the little babes don't scratch up their faces with those new nails. Or, do you have a carseat you LOVE? or maybe a sling or carrier you just think is peachy? Yep, it can be anything and everything. Bottles, diapers, wipes, etc. Anything you might have an opinion on baby-wise, I WANT IT! Even if it is advice. I'll take it! Anyone tried those wipes warmers? Are they worth the money, or just a waste? See, I've got all these questions and need your help.

So, take a minute, leave a comment, and help a sister out. Thanks!!!






Oh, and for you mamas with multiples or any sort of medical background-- I've got a question for you. I swear I feel like this baby is right down in my pelvis. With the first two I felt like they were right in my ribs, but with this one that just isn't the case. I'm not sure if he's dropped early, or if I just have crappy stomach muscles now after three kids, but something is wrong. Here is the deal. This is going to sound weird probably, but it honestly feels like maybe from all the weight of the baby that I might have broken my pelvis. The under, or backside of my pubic bone/pelvis feels like it might have like a hairline fracture or something. Every time I stand up it is just really painful in my pelvis. And tender, and feels like it honestly might be broken or bruised or sprained or something. And if I stand on one leg --like to get my pants on -- it's terrible. Almost unbearable. So, I guess my question is -- is this even possible? Can you fracture your pelvis? I realize obviously they cant do an x-ray, so how would I find out for sure, and if it is, then is there even anything you can do? I mean, I guess you can't get a cast or anything. So yeah, if anyone has any thoughts on the subject that would be awesome. Thanks.


10 comments:

Jill said...

Amy, I'm so excited for you and your little one! You're already a great mom and one more will just be like riding your bike. One thing I am soooo glad I had and my sis's and friends that have it all say the same it the "nose frida" nasal aspirator. You can only get them online and the idea may make you a little grossed out, but they're amazing. My pediatrician now recommends them to everyone. I also love my changing table, so much time spent there! Hope to see you soon!

Jen said...

I'm obviously a little inexperienced here, but one thing I knew I HAD to splurge on is the Chicco Key Fit travel system. My brother and sis-in-law had one (Jordan's little brother), and I've played with it extensively in Babies R Us, and it is awesome and so easy to use. Sometimes I go in the nursery and open and fold my stroller just because I can, one-handed. Also, multiple people have told me that I simply must get Lily Padz nursing pads. We'll see how those turn out, there's basically no way to test them at this point. Haha.

As for your pelvis, it is definitely possible to fracture it, just not too likely. More likely it's the baby putting pressure on a nerve or some such, and it does sound like he's dropped already (it's not too early for that). Mention it to your doctor, they'll know more about how to diagnose it and what to do about it.

Aimee said...

I don't have any answers for you but will subscribe to comments so I can reap the benefits of this post too.

Would love to hear how the cloth diaper night went too.

Glad to see you are coming to my baby party. It will be fun to see you in both our pregnant glory :)

Lisa said...

I've been going over must have baby items with my sister Aimee for the past couple of months. I love the swaddle blankets I have and am still using them for my 3 plus month old. I use a Swaddle Design blanket and then put the baby in a swaddle me blanket. He can't break out of the thing with two blankets. I really feel like he sleeps longer and more comfortably when he is all tucked in. I had a wipe warmer for my first and thought it was a waste, but I know some people love them. It seemed like it dried out the wipes really fast.

As for the pelvis question, I noticed a lot more pain in my pelvis by baby number 4. The pain would shot down my legs sometimes and it was difficult to walk. I don't know if it is the same thing as you are experiencing. I would definitely ask about it at your next visit. The good news is all that pain went away and now seems like a distant memory.

If I can think of any other great baby items I'll let you know.

Sadie said...

my boy was very low my entire pregnancy and I had very similar pains to what you are describing... so bad that I went to the dr about it and ended up in physical therapy... it was because the ligaments around my hips had softened (in order to have baby) and my muscles weren't strong enough to hold them right... so they would slip from all of the baby pressure and pinch my si(sciatic? sp?) nerve. It helps to do a release and lay down on the floor and put your fist or something right under your tailbone.

Jamie said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond and tell you "thank you" for the help on the big girl bed. I'm so out of sorts right now. I hate it. I'm so surprised how much of an adjustment it is to have two kids. I always feel dumb saying that to people like you who have been doing two for a while and I'm sure you think it's cake, but I'm still learning. And I'm exhausted on top of everything.

Anyway, I have the Chicco Key system thing too. I can't decide if I love it. It has really good reviews, but it's super heavy and now that I have two kids, I really can't decide what I think since I can't use it for my carrier and my 2 yr old. Just my 2 cents.

As for the lower pain: I have no idea what your pain is, but I had SEVERE round ligament pain. Almost like you described. It was so painful that it would literally drop me on my knees everytime it hit. It was awful!!! I hope you figure out whatever it is so you can get help. Sounds like a bummer.

I swear by good swaddling blankets. Swear by them! Never did a boppy. Sounds like it's a good thing I skipped on that one.

Only seven weeks? Light at the end of the tunnel!!!

camihubrich said...

I will agree with: The A and A swaddeling blankets and the lily pads. I also add the ergo baby (which you know I'm sure), I personally loved the boppy, a sound machine, a mirror in your car so you can see what's going on, the itzbeen or an ap on your phone to keep track of feedings, which side, etc. I have a bottle that I love but can't remember what it's called so I'll just get you one. It's great when you're first trying to get them to take a bottle. I'll stop now so my list doesn't get tainted. Only must have's here.

marcie b said...

what do i know? not much, but here are a few things i do know. aden and anais blankets are my favorite. they are pricey, but worth it, especially with summer upon us. their burp cloth/bibs are my favorite too. (and i just learned that target carries a line of their products which are more affordable.) call me crazy, but i am a huge fan of the basic white onesie. oli is tall so i prefer carter's onesies to gerber, i also think they are a little bit higher quality and they have the little hand covers. there is an app for all things baby called total baby. it keeps track of nursing, diaper changes, bath time, naps, etc. it's been awesome. the miracle blanket is the ultimate in baby straight jackets. if you are in to swaddling, check it out. the bundle me was a must have during the cold months. lastly, the wubbanub is likely my very favorite thing we have. it is a soothie pacifier with a little stuffed animal sewn to the end. both baby and mom love it!

good luck with everything. the good news is that you already know you can do it and that you are a great mom. there has got to be some solice in that knowledge.

Ashley said...

Amy I'm so excited for you! I forgot how much I loved newborns until I had one again. And they are only newborns for such a short time. Sigh. Anywho, the ladies down here in NC introduced me to the maya wrap. (mayawrap.com) My friend let me borrow hers and it's awesome for those early weeks when they just want to be snuggled but you still need arms. I have also heard great things about the Ergo, and got one, but haven't actually used it yet...Love the A&A swaddle blankets. Other than that, we've gotten by with just the basics. But you need a swing. My babies love the swing. Good luck Ames! Miss you!

MEvans said...

i know i'm a little slow on the uptake here, but i had the same pelvic pain with all of my babes. it sounds exact. i never did find a solution or a diagnosis for that matter. the good news though is that the relief was immediate after birth.

as for baby stuff... i've found that there really are very few necessities. five babies have proven to me that more stuff is just that, more stuff!

it's been too long, we should get together!