Wednesday, May 12, 2010

LOST RECAP

Wow. Okay, so I'm not really sure how I feel about this episode. I mean, did I like it? Not sure. Did I hate it? Not sure. I mean I guess in a way in answered some questions for us, but in the classic LOST way of just creating more. So, without further ado, lets get into it.

  • Okay, so the first thing I was bugged about is the fact that with only 3! episodes left here we are introducing more new characters. Uggg. Is anyone else sick of this? Just close it up already. I mean, I don't even really have closure with the characters that we've spent 5 years investing in already. Richard, Miles, Lapidus, Mr. Ecko. etc. We don't need any newbies at this point.
  • Then, first they are speaking some weird language with subtitles and then bam, English. This was just weird. Is this some weird thing that the writers didn't want to make the actors speak weird for a whole episode with subtitles, or what? Just made no sense. So, yeah, we're not off to a great start here people. Two things I hate.
  • The next thing we must discuss is the fact that Jacob & no-name (but I'd like to call him Esau. again, how lame is it that the writers still can not come up with a name for this MIB, smokey guy? I mean really. Brother is all we get?) are twin brothers. I feel like this answered a question, but really wasn't any surprise. Their mother comes to the island via a crashed ship, and shortly thereafter delivers the twins and then is brutally murdered by the crazy lady. Now here comes the third thing I hate. Could there perhaps been a more humane manner in which to kill Jacob & Esau's mother? I mean it was terribly violent and a little brutal -- Even for Lost.
  • So there we are. Crazy lady --who again has no name --just mother.(This so bugs me because in order to engage or relate with a character I really feel like they need a name.) So, she raises the boys as if they were her own. Not sure if she is good or evil. Again with this whole theme. I mean she did murder someone for hecks sake, but apparently she is the guardian of this light--which is the light inside all of us -- or some mumbo jumbo. She also knows a lot about the rules. She somehow made it so the boys can't kill each other. But how? Who gave her the power?
  • One thing that I thought was fabulous was the casting of the young boys in this episode. I think they did a great job of portraying the older Jacob and MIB.
  • Moving back to things I hate, did anyone else just hate Jacob and his whole personality? NOt only as a child, but also as an adult? Just made his character weak. And I feel like with how strong of a character he has been throughout the seasons -- powerful and everything I really needed him to come off stronger than he did. And more likeable. I wanted to come out of this episode team Jacob, but I'm afraid that just didn't happen for me. I feel like he was bullied into his position of keeper of the light, and that he didn't really even stand up to anything. So frustrating.
  • So really quick. This game that pre-smokey finds. Do you really think his 'mother' made it for him? I found it interesting that Esau can lie to her, but Jacob can not. Is this supposed to be some sort of metaphor for good and evil?
  • Then one day Esau sees his real mother ala Hurley. Esau is the only one who can see her since she is dead. What does this mean? Another metaphor for good and evil? Esau's mother tells him what really happened to her, and shows him the other, other others. Sheesh. Are you still with me? I found it interesting that when Esau tells Jacob this, Jacob still wants to live with his fake mother the killer, rather than go with his twin --his actual flesh and blood. Again, terrible character flaw Jacob. Fake mother takes them both to the light where she really crapily explains to them and us what it is, and what it means. It's in all of us, if it gets out we're all doomed etc. She also tells them not to go into it. Apparently if ya do it's worse than death. I'm not at all satisfied with this. In fact it really bugged me. Again with the introducing a new thing with only three episodes to go. And apparently a pretty important thing. The very thing that's the whole reason for the island, and therefore the show. Not sure if this is a copout on the producers part or what. And how does this light correlate to the temple with that crazy water etc. Is the temple on top of the light source maybe?
  • I thought it was interesting that fake mother tells Esau & Jacob that they can never leave the island. (Except we know that Jacob has -- to recruit the Losties) Esau spends years finding a way off. Eventually does with the donkey wheel-- that in past seasons has moved the island. I have to say that I for sure in this episode gained lots of respect for Esau/MIB. He was the thinker. The one who questioned authority. The one who ultimately followed his own conscience.
  • So, fake mother talks or rather pushes Jacob into becoming the keeper of the light via a glass of wine. What does this mean? I thought it was weird and out of place and I didn't like Jacob one bit in this scene. Now Jacob and "mother" are the same? What does this mean?
  • Crazy lady aka fake mother then goes wackadoodle and kills all the other other others. (Remember when smokey tells kate he once had a mother and she was crazy? He wasn't kidding!) Esau gets pissed and kills her. She thanks him--why? Jacob then gets upset and takes Esau to the light tunnel and throws him in --which is ultimately worse than death. So Jacob is now worse than a killer? Which by the way I thought fake mommy told them they couldn't hurt each other? Does throwing each other down the worse-than-death-light-tunnel not count? In which Esau then comes screaming out as Smokey.
  • Then we find out that Adam & Eve are fake crazy momma and Esau. Except Smokey still lives, inhabiting his own and other's bodies I guess. The flashback to season 1 was stupid. How dumb do the producers think we are? Give us die hards a break. I sorta feel like they threw that scene in there to prove some point to us -- that they actually knew where this whole shenanigan of a series was going--even in the beginning. Which I don't completely believe.

I guess all in all, I am sorta pissed that in order to close up the whole series we have to be making things, characters and situations up at this point. And really huge, and important things. As much as I've loved this whole series, I think this whole light tunnel crap is sorta a cop out. A quick answer. I really missed all the Lostie characters we've grown to love. And I hope we can get back to them in the next two episodes.

I do have to say though, something I'm realizing now is that this whole show-- the whole premise for the show anyway is one of myth, legend, and fairytale. This sorta bums me out. I mean, I really thought that I was invested in real people, who survived a real (albeit fictional) plane crash and their stories. Seems however this is not the case.

And after reading this whole post again, I guess I can safely say that I wasn't such a fan of this episode. Too little too late Lost producers. And even though this wasn't my favorite episode -- I'm still enjoying it. Still looking forward to the last few episodes.

Now, I must know --what were your thoughts on this episode? Love it? Hate it? Thoughts?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks again for the Lost recap! Agree, agree, agree with everything you are dishing up. I can see why the episode was needed, but I think they could have accomplished the same type of thing without taking up a whole hour. I was missing all of the original Losties by the end. You are so right about no more new characters and no more new story lines. It's time to wrap it up folks. I can't help but feel like we are going to have a lot of questions that will just go unanswered, but such is life. I don't think the writers knew the end from the beginning either. I mean come on! Wishing I could be at your finale party!

camihubrich said...

one thing that I'm noticing as this wraps up is that all these guys that I thought had all this power are turning into big push overs: Linus, Jakob, Richard. I read one theory that crazy mom was the smoke monster prior to mib. he was able to kill her because he stabbed her before she spoke and she thanked him because she was sick of being stuck and living as smokey. plus, how else could she have killed all the other other others and filled in the well. I'm expecting my mind to be blown with answers in the final episodes or just blow up in frustration. one of the two.

Adam said...

I pretty much agree with your blog. Answering the question, "love it, hate it?" was much simpler for me. I just asked myself, "self? Was this episode in anyway necessary?" The answer for this one is a big fat no. You summed it up very well. I feel like the only question they answered in this episode was how the smoke monster came to be. A freaking glowing cave? Give me a break. I would have rather had it be a mystery than that. The episode was irrelevant, aggravating, and most importantly boring. This isn't the right place in the series for a dud. And with 3 or so episodes left, they give us the worst one ever.