Tuesday, May 25, 2010

LOST RECAP

Okay, so let's just get to it.

Lost Series Finale. Here's the thing. The episode started. I was into it. It keeps going. I was still into it. It keeps on going. Still enjoying myself. Then the last fifteen minutes came, and I was like what in the what? It was like I was given this big bowl of vanilla ice cream. And I really like vanilla ice cream, in fact, I've been eating vanilla ice cream for almost six years every Tuesday. And then right before I'm finished with my last bowl of vanilla ice cream I will ever have, maybe like the last 3 satisfying bites. I'm really looking forward to devouring with an almost sort of a type of reverence because you see, I know I'm NEVER again going to be able to have a new bowl of vanilla ice cream. Just the memories. And then bam, the last three bites turn into sauerkraut. Out of no where. Just bam. Replaced. And you see some people really like sauerkraut. There is a time and a place for sauerkraut. But not now. Not at the end of my perfectly delicious, perfectly sweet bowl of vanilla ice cream.

So yeah, I pretty much wanted to yell at the screen, who took my vanilla and left me here with this sauerkraut?

That's how I felt about last night's episode. I liked most of it, hated the ending. And I wasn't sure about using that word hate, but I just decided that yeah, it sucked. I almost sorta feel like in the words of Sawyer, "It was all a long con." In that I feel like the ending was a cop out. A way to not really have to answer all the questions. A way in which to keep people still interested. Still talking. An ending that will have them all go out and buy the previous seasons on DVD to watch again to see where they might have missed the long con. But I don't think the answers are there. I think the writers said, "Ooops, well. We've got one season left. We better wrap this up quick." So they did. And in an almost, "WE TOLD YOU THE ISLAND WASN'T PURGATORY" nah, nah, na, nah nah way, they make the flash sideways purgatory. A place where the characters could work out their issues, meet up at a church, and cross over to the other side as one big dysfunctional family. What a friggin' cop out. You mean to tell me this whole time, this is how it was supposed to end? That the plane really did crash, and that the purpose was so that they could all meet, and be a part of people's lives, then all cross over together? Uh, no.

That being said, I have to say I have loved watching each and every episode of this series. Even the ones that weren't my favorites kept me mostly entertained. And I guess that's what a TV show is supposed to do right? Entertain. And that it did. And I enjoyed every bit of it. Just not those last fifteen minutes. And here's why.

My main problem with the ending was that clearly this whole series was about the characters. Who are they? Where have they been? Where are they going? Where would they have gone had the plane not crashed? How will they act off the island? How do they interact with the other characters? Pretty much the whole show is all about the characters, some would argue, Jack being the main one. But this is where I differ. In my mind the creators and writers have done a fabulous job of developing the characters, and for the most part they did an okay job of wrapping up the main ones. But they forgot to wrap up, or answer questions, about the most important character of all. The island. We know all the back stories of all the people, but somewhere along the way the island, it's mystery and it's power, took on the leading role in the show. Bigger than any person in fact. It played such a major part in the series, so to not have any background, and information, any closure on where the island came from, and how it came to be was the most frustrating part about the finale for me.

Some people are frustrated about not knowing the little things, like about Aaron, or Walt, or what the heck the temple crap was all about. Not me. I don't really care about all that. I just care about the island. Where did it come from? Who created it? Why did it have special powers? And rules? Who made the rules? How did the first people get there? How did this cave with the light get there? How did smokey get made? How come the island can be moved. All that. That's the stuff I wanted answers to. Not necessarily all the B.S. Christian Shepherd handed us. And yes, I feel had i got the answers to my questions about the island, I could have finished my last three delicious, satisfying bites of vanilla ice cream. Instead, I'm afraid I'm going to be craving vanilla ice cream for the rest of my life, and having a really bad sauerkraut aftertaste left lingering.

So yeah, those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours.

Amy

2 comments:

bingham 5 said...

I'm thinking I am glad I never watched this show!

Aimee said...

So after a few days of letting the whole thing digest I think I didn't hate the ending. Yes, there were so many questions not answered but I did really like the spiritual ending and the themes of friendship and relationship that were very apparent the last episode.

My brother read somewhere that it was like the writers just pulled an all nighter to finish it all up which I can totally agree with. There are tons of holes but like you said I am still glad I experienced the series overall.

I missed Syaid the last season.
I don't think he and Shannon were the one true loves for each other.
I never thought Kate and Jack were good for each other and I thought they tried and put a little bow on their relationship at the end which bugged me.
I loved all the awakenings.
I liked how in the end we shouldn't die alone so it important to take your relationships seriously.
I believe the events on the island really existed even though there continues to be mystery about the character of the island like you said.
I thought the ending with Jack's eye closing was brilliant with how the series started and I loved they had that go full circle.

Overall, they left some mystery but I was still happy after 3 days of thinking about it. I want to go watch one more time just for good measure.

Thanks for letting us come to the party. It was a lot of fun to be with everyone and probably saved myself some tears when Sawyer and Juliet had their awakening. You two are great hosts!