Tuesday, March 9, 2010

ITCHING FOR RELIEF


So I think I'm about to go insane! I've got some sort of weird allergy going on where my entire body is itching. I'm not sure if it's something I ate, or what, but literally my entire body itches (my scalp, arms, belly, legs, feet, hands), and is red and has these huge bumps all over it. This craziness started on Sunday. Around 2 p.m. every day my body just flares up and itches. It happened yesterday too, and today it's even worse. Yesterday I took some bennedryl and that helped after about an hour or so, so I think I'm going to go take another just as soon as I'm done here, but this has got to stop. So, I'm begging, pleading rather, to see if anyone knows what this possibly could be, and what I might do to stop it. I went to see my doctor this morning, and he said since the benedryl is helping, it's probably allergies of some sort. So helpful. But I guess my question is how on earth do I figure out whats bugging me? I haven't changed laundry detergent, hair stuff, face stuff, makeup or anything, so I'm thinking it must be food. But how do I figure it out? Do I only eat fruits and slowly add stuff back in? The only thing that I've done differently, is well, I sort of flubbed on my giving up sugar for lent. Saturday night I gave in and had some samoas. Those dang girl scout cookies! So, could it possibly be some sort of weird reaction to sugar after cutting it out for three weeks? Doesn't really seem likely since I always ate sugar before. The only other weird thing is some oranges that I bought from some neighbor kid for a fundraiser arrived on Friday and I have been eating about 2 a day since we have a friggin fridge full. But other than that, everything has been status quo. I'm pretty much a creature of habit, and don't really like to try new things, so I am completely baffled as to what this could be. Any ER nurses out there been seeing weird stuff like this lately? I'm a little concerned since I'm prego, but my doctor didn't seem all that worried, so I just don't know. I'm not worried about the baby, just that I might go mad, and scratch my skin off or something. This is crazy. It feels kinda like I usually do after a c-section and the meds are all wearing off, and you get that itchy feeling. Kinda like that, only times ten. So, yeah, if you know of any home remedies, or any idea what this might be, or how to figure out what it is, please, please leave a comment.
My skin thanks you.

7 comments:

bingham 5 said...

I had this during my last pregnacy and my doctor told me the same thing - wait it out. It only lasted about a week and then went away - but man, I remember the itching!

Aimee said...

Shoot, Amy. I have no ideas. I hope you figure out something quick. I know how annoying itchy skin can be.

Jamie said...

I'm zero help. Sorry. I'm here to offer sympathy however. I haven't had itchy problems, but I feel like I have every other problem so we can be miserable together. :)

Cory and Holly said...

Sorry Amy! I get hives all the time (I don't know if that's what you have)and most of the time soaking in a warm tub with baking soda helps with the itching. (Not super warm when your pregs) Caladryl(sp?) lotion, and baby lotion helps too. Hope it goes away soon!! Good Luck!

Brittany said...

ER nurse here: Many times during pregnancy women develop allergies to things that were entirely benign pre-pregnancy. There is no good reason why, and you may not find out what it is unless you very caerfully remove certain things from your environment/ diet. The benadryl sounds like it's working ok for now, and maybe try some topical cortisone type cream. Good luck!

Jill said...

Strawberries. Just stay away from them. Eddy and I got crazy hives a year ago and it was the berries. Never had them before and I've eaten them since and been fine, but our doc said they're a very high allergy food. I was bummed because we had a whole garden full of them. Good luck, itching is no fun! (Doc said if it's not the berries, which it was, probably another fresh fruit or veggie, so give that a try)

Kim said...

I had a couple of friends get this pregnancy rash, it's sounds the same. I'll find out what it's called and maybe you can read up on it.