Wednesday, March 24, 2010

IS THIS HELL?

SPOILER ALERT. LOST RECAP AND SUCH FOR EPISODE AIRING MARCH 23RD!~~

Okay, so I finally get my Richard episode, and it's well, just eh. I mean, I loved it, cause it was LOST, but I really feel like I didn't learn a whole lot. Just had some previous thoughts and hunches confirmed. But that doesn't mean there isn't much to discuss. So let's get right to it. And we're off. . . .

ON THE ISLAND:

  • So the episode starts off with a little information about how Jacob and Ilana met. She is the ultimate Jacob protector. Then, we are hit with a little fireside chat involving Jack, Hurley, Sun, Richard/Ricardo, Miles, the pilot and Ilana. We learn that Ilana is told by Jacob that Richard will know what to do next, since I'm assuming Jacob's dead and the island is without it's fearless leader.
  • K, so that leads us into this next whole enchilada that bitter Richard is now convinced, since Jacob's dead, that he has been lying this whole time and that the island is in fact hell. That he is dead, and that they all are. And that the island is basically purgatory. One thing that confuses me about this theory that Flocke/Smokey/MIB proposes to Richard is that Ben and the oceanic 6 have all gotten off the island. Sure they came back, but they got off. And I guess my question then is, how do you get out of "hell"? Very confusing.
  • Richard decides to leave and go find Smokey and let him know that he has decided to switch sides and follow him.
  • Now there was so much religious mumbo jumbo going on in this episode that it was almost too Biblical if you ask me. Slightly too much for my liking. I mean, I like a good parallel, allegory even, but this was a bit much.
  • Hurley and Richard have and Isabella have a Ghost moment. It's touching, and slightly lame all at the same time. Hurley tells him that Isabella wants Richard to stop the man in black from leaving the island, and if he doesn't they all will go to hell (at least according to Isabella). Confused much?
  • But on a quick little side note here, what if it is all just about Hurley? The ultimate connector. Man he is awesome. I just love his character, especially when I found out that ultimately he wasn't even supposed to be a main character, but the pilot audiences responded so well to them that the writers decided to keep him. Three cheers for Hurley/Hugo.

So, some thoughts. So all these seasons and episodes I've thought Richard was the ultimate and knew so much, but really, he is just as clueless and you and me. Nice. Although I do think it will be fun to go back and watch all the seasons again some day just for fun, now that we know what we know. Ya know? Ha. So, in my opinion, the episode was definitely necessary in order for them to tie up loose ends, and make sense of the whole series, but since I knew most of the stuff already I didn't find it very enlightening. No new info, really, just more questions. Ahh, the awesome-ness that is LOST. Love it.

RICHARD'S PAST:

  • K, so we know that he lived originally in the 1600s. His wife was dying and tries to ultimately save her, and ends up accidentally killing a man, and being thrown in jail. I think it's nice that he's passing his time in the slammer productively -- learning English. Then we meet the corrupt Priest, who will not accept his penance, then he ultimately ends up selling him. Not sure how a priest has all that power, but whatever. I must say between this episode and all the stuff going on in the press, it's not a great time to be a catholic. Sheesh.
  • My suspicions were confirmed about Richard coming to the island as a slave via the Black rock. Thought it interesting that Smokey refrains from killing him. Ultimately I'm sure it's so that he can use Richard to his advantage.
  • Thought the pig eating all the dead guys was pretty gross. But nice to see the pig finally getting some revenge after years of wonderful BBQ. ;)
  • Richard sees his dead wife. Strange, not sure about that part. Maybe Richard is dead? How can smokey get her again, if she is already dead? So weird, although it's not the first time we've seen dead people on the island (Jack's dad).
  • The man in black comes to recruit Richard to kill Jacob. MIB tells him that this is hell, and the devil is Jacob. Is it strange that I think that the MIB is sorta hot? For an old guy. On vacation we were talking about old hot guy celebrity crushes, and I had a hard time coming up with one, but now I pick the devil. Or not-the devil -smokey, or MIB. Whatever. Moving along. Richard fails in his task to kill Jacob. How creepy was it for MIB to say, "It's good to see you out of those chains?" Hmmmm. Sounds a bit like something Jesus might say,no?
  • Find out that the black rock destroyed the statue, and that he must again kill Jacob before he speaks. Only one chance. He says that the devil betrayed him, and took his body. But really, if were are speaking biblically, that we know that the real Devil was the one to never receive a body. So is MIB the devil, or Jacob? Decisions decisions.
  • For someone that's supposed to be "good" Jacob can sure pack a punch. A bit violent if you ask me. Also a bit brisk, and bossy too. I'm not sure I like Jacob in this episode. Is this so I will maybe consider him as the Devil? Probably. Jacob reassures him that he's not in hell, and that he's not dead. Jacob says, "No one comes in unless I invite them in" while pouring wine. Hmmmm again with the jesus mubo jumbo. Jacob tells Richard he brings ships, and planes to the island for the sole purpose of proving Smokey wrong. This seems a bit like messing with people's free agency if you ask me. Tells him the island is the cork, keeping the darkness/evil/devil inside. He says that Smokey thinks that everyone is corruptible, and that it's in everyone's nature to sin. Jacob wants to prove him wrong, but without telling them what to do. Jacob doesn't want to force them or step in. That's not very christ-like. Oh man. Confusing. At first I thought that this was just like the bible. God giving everyone their free will. However, that free will came with a price. A savior--if we are speaking biblically and you believe that. So, Jacob wants everyone to choose good, without having to tell them to do so. So pretty much he is asking Richard to be his representative to tell the people to do good so he doesn't have to. Then Richard asks him to bring his wife back, says he can't. Then Richard asks to be forgiven of his sins, Jacob apparently can't do that either. Which doesn't sound very God or Christ-like. But living forever, he can do. That seems kind of creepy and almost like he is making a deal with the "devil." So, who's the devil, and who is good? Oh, so confusing. Just like I like it. Smokey tells him that Jacob can be very convincing. Just like the devil. And that his offer still stands.
  • My favorite scene though was the one with Jacob and MIB. Riveting in every way. I was trying to dissect that entire conversation. Who is good? Who is evil, and who darn it, is the devil? And does good gloat? MIB says he just desperately wants to leave. Jacob says he can't leave as long as he is alive. But --- and big but here, isn't Jacob dead now? Real time I mean? So why hasn't smokey left yet? Is it because of the the candidates? Seems like a lot of killing needs to happen. And only with that one sword, and only through the chest, and only if he doesn't speak first. Ugg, that is a lot of rules. Thought it weird that Jacob gives MIB wine to pass the time, and he breaks it? What was that all about? Are we to think that all MIB has to do, is break the glass, and he's free? If only it were so simple.

So, my head is spinning, and I'm loving it still. I'm hoping there will be some more information soon about Ilana. I still can't believe she has such a big role in the whole island Jacob thing, but yet we don't really know a lot about her. But I really can't wait till the next episode, where we can get back to all the other losties and their crazy antics. I've missed them.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm still loving a peak into your head with the Lost run down. I always open your blog first on the google reader on Wednesdays! It is like an extra little Lost present for me the day after.