Wednesday, November 18, 2009

QUALIFY

image credit: mario bellavite via flickr

So, about a week ago, something quite miraculous happened at our house. Some of you might not think it a very big deal, but I personally think it's one of those things in life that qualifies you. Like when all of a sudden your baby rolls over, and their not a newborn anymore. Or, your teenager learns to drive, and suddenly they are capable of so much more.

Well something like that happened here just last week. And it makes me absolutely giddy. Thing 2 learned how to pump. In other words, no longer will I have to spend hours upon hours at the park pushing her on the swings. Because apparently, to her, the swings are the only thing worth actually going to the park for. I guess she just figured, that if her brother could do it, so could she. And for 3.5 years old, I think it's pretty darn cool of her. And I no longer have a little child that needs my help. Nope, she is an official kid. A playing in the backyard kinda kid. Pumping and swinging and getting her knees all scrapped up and everything kinda kid.

And I love that.

Every morning at 7 a.m. she asks me if she can go outside and swing. You know, cause she can. All. By. Her. Self. Never mind the fact that it's a balmy 35 degrees out. No, she doesn't care, nor does any child really, who just wants to play. She gets herself dressed, puts on her coat, and hat, and heads outside with her brother, and they swing. And swing. And swing. And laugh. And swing. And I can see the pure joy on his face that he's got a built in friend in his little sister. She's cool, and will play spies with him, and swing with him all day long. She however, just grins from ear to ear with pride, because she no longer needs to be pushed. Nope. She can do it all. By. Her. Self. Just. Like. Her. Brother.

And for a moment I have a glimpse of what my future will be like with this amazingly smart, somewhat bossy, absolutely driven, energetic, at times sassy little girl. "No mom. I don't need you to tell me how to put mascara on. I figured it out, all.by.my.self. "

I am in for one heck of a ride.

I love you Thing 2!!! Congrats on learning how to pump!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Very big step in childhood. Thanks for reporting the milestone.

hannah said...

I love it when they learn to pump on the swing themselves and when they ride their bikes for the first time. Thanks for sharing.