Friday, May 22, 2009

SUNSHINE LOVE

Okay, first off I just need to get something off my chest. Here goes:

I really, really, really sometimes wish I was one of those bloggers who could write short, funny, intriguing posts. Well, that's just not me. And as much as I wish, and hope it was, it's just not. My posts and my writing in general tends to be really wordy. And lengthy. And can seem somewhat like I'm just rambling. Which I guess, I just might be. And well, I'm sorry about that. I wish I could write differently, but I can't. I'm not sure if this is because I talk to two people about superheros and princesses all day, or if I just have a lot bottled up inside me, but either way, I realize it's kind of annoying. I'm working on it. But brace yourself friends, this is gonna be a long one.


This topic, is well, so close to my heart, I just don't even know where to begin. Music. I love it. And I need it daily. Music is such an amazing art form to me. The way people can put their thoughts and words to music has always intrigued me.

I didn't necessarily grow up in a very musical family per say, but there was always music in the home. I mean, my Dad plays the accordion, but I've only heard him play a few times. And my mom doesn't play any instrument, but she can sing nicely. I'm not sure if it's because she didn't really learn to play an instrument or what, but she insisted, or MADE us rather, learn to play the piano. Which, when I was a child, I absolutely HATED. All that darn practicing. Ugg. Couldn't my mother see I would much rather be outside playing kick the can, than counting notes and struggling through arrangements? And don't let me even get started on all the lying I did surrounding that darn piano. I mean, my mom must have known. Was it really possible that every time she went out I did my practising? I can remember fighting with my brothers about it. Who's turn it was to get to say they did their practicing while she was out. Just. So. Wrong. But I loathed it. All that stupid practicing! I finally quit when I was in junior high. I guess she figured since I could play most of the hymns then I was good.

Both my Mom and my Dad loved music and we always had it playing in our house, and in the car. I grew up on James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver and Anne Murray. With two older brothers though, I also grew up on Tupac, Run DMC, and pretty much all the 90's rap that was out there. My oldest brother was known for his extensive CD collection. One of the biggest at his high school. Unfortunately, my room was right above his, so I pretty much lived and breathed rap music. I think this must be why I kinda have this strange love for hip hop and rap, whereas most people I know hate it.

One of the things I just love about music is the way it can serve almost as a backdrop in your life. There are so many different songs that when I hear them, take me right back to a certain time in my life. Even sometimes a specific moment in time.

Take Thugs N' Harmony's wonderful little song Wake Up for instance. My brother Dave, I kid you not, set this CD as his alarm every single morning his entire senior year. Every morning I would wake up to that ridiculous song. "Wake up, Wake up, it's the first of the month." Ugg. I could shoot myself!!

Or how about Blind Melon's It's no rain? This takes me right back to my first real kiss ever. Good old Lee. He loved Blind Melon. And that song was super popular at the time. The summer after 7th grade. Gotta love it. Every time I hear it, I think of him.

Indio Girls? Immediately think of Lake Powell. We would jam to this the whole way down and the entire week we were there.

Or how about Smashing Pumpkin's 1979? One Friday night when I was in high school a bunch of my friends had rented out some rooms downtown at Little America. I don't remember much, if anything about that night, except for that Jeremy Lyman was there. And he had just bought this new car. And by new I mean, new to him. It was some 1970's boat, and he took me and a bunch of my friends on a ride. I have no idea who was there, i just remember sitting in the back seat, with all the windows in the car down, hair blowing in the wind, with the speakers blaring the Pumpkin's 1979. It was then that for some reason Jeremy went the wrong way down a one-way street. We were screaming our heads off at him, because of all the cars coming straight at us. I thought I was going to die. I'm laughing just remembering it. We were so scarred. And all the while Smashing Pumpkins was jamming in the background.

Take Dave Mathews Band. There are a few of their songs that just hold so much emotion for me. They are so dear to me, that I almost don't really even feel comfortable sharing which ones. But they will always mean Hubs to me. Too many lazy days spent sluffing over at his house on the water bed.

And Simon & Garfunkel's I am a rock? This will always mean family to me. It's been a long-standing joke in our family, that although I love music, I'm not so great at hearing the lyrics. And I don't really care. I just sing it like I hear it. So, all growing up when the song says, "I am a rock, I am an island." I thought it said, "I am a rock, I am an awe---some rock!" In fact, I still sing it that way if I hear it come on. Even at my wedding my brothers intentionally put this song on the mix and sang it wrong just for me.


So yeah, music. It really is the backdrop of my life. That's why today, after a specifically intense spinning class full of Lady Gaga and other ass pushing songs, it was a nice reprieve during the cool down to hear a song that I haven't heard in a really long time. And that I absolutely love. And represents and means so much for me. That song?

Here Comes The Sun by the Beatles.

Okay, I guess I need to say something really quick. For those of you who know me well, or are a regular reader know of my absolute LOVE and NEED for the sun. I have self-diagnosed SADD, and just crave the sun. I am that person that has every blind and window wide open. I always think it's funny when I drive down the street and everyone has their blinds and shades pulled in the day. I so just don't get that. In fact I would rather be awakened by the sun than anything else. This is why I love summer. Long days. The sun rises early and sets late. I honestly think there might be some sort of secret chemical in the sun that my body just needs. Like maybe vitamin D. I just need loads of it. And so, I must see it everyday or else I just get sad and depressed. It's very strange and weird, I know, but it's me.


Anyhoo, as I was listening to the wonderfullness that is the song "Here Comes the Sun", it made me think of all the other brilliant tunes out there devoted to the word sun. And well, I thought today, with the officially start of summer, that I might share some of those lovelies. I hope you are having a fabulous day. And that this warm weather is warming your soul like it is mine. It's like I slowly start to come alive as the sun makes it's debut each spring. I literally turn into a different person in the summer. I want to get out of the house. I want to go on walks, go to the pool, go up the canyon to roast mallows and dogs. I want to be out, basking in it's awesomeness. So, here's to you sun!! Welcome home. Welcome home.

Here Comes The Sun - Beatles



That leads me right into:

You are My Sunshine - When I was looking for a video to post with this song, I came upon this one. And I am such sucker for people proclaiming their love through video and music. Enjoy!




Next up: Len, If You Steal My Sunshine. Most of you are probably thinking to yourselves, Who?
Sure, they are a one-hit-wonder, and the video is horribly cheesy, but the song is as catchy as ever, and is in most of mix playlists. I mean, scooters? Really? The option to embed this song has been disabled, so you are gonna have to click here, to listen to it in all it's glory.

Fallen Sunshine by Matt Costa & Jack Johnson






Want to continue in this little fun sunshine roadtrip? Then please check out these:

Walking on Sunshine

Sun is Shining - Bob Marley

Sunshine On My Shoulder - John Denver

Sunshine - Mos Def

Good Day Sunshine - Paul McCartney

Sunshine Of Your Love - Jimi Hendrix

and last but certainly not least, You Are The Sunshine Of My Life - Stevie Wonder


Well, I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane. I've loved sharing a little bit of sunshine with you today. Hope you all have a fantastic Memorial Day weekend filled with entirely too much sunshine!

4 comments:

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

This totally makes me smile... I thought of your brother's CD collection as soon as you mentioned your family's love of music.

But I think you're wrong... I don't think it was ONE of the biggest CD collections... it had to be THE biggest CD collection.

Thanks for the recap... good stuff.

Aimee said...

Hooray for the sunshine! I agree - the sun is so wonderful for the soul. It just makes me feel better about everything.

Loved the recap.

Jill said...

Thanks for the great songs. I laughed with the Jeremy story, that was a fun night!

Jer + Lu said...

That was delightful. My fave was you are my sunshine. I love singing that to my boys. And the little pics made me smile :)