Tuesday, November 11, 2008

PROPOSITION EIGHT TAKE TWO

Okay, sorry for the multiple posts today, but I feel as though this needs to be discussed.

Now, for the record, I was against proposition 8 as much as the next person, but all of these LDS temple protests have got to stop. They are happening all over the country, and it's just wrong. I mean, I get it. People are mad. Raging mad, about the fact that they can't be treated equally.

And I realize that Mormon voters gave their time and money to ensure that this proposition passed, and so it's very easy to take it out on the Mormons. But really, if you are an American and believe in a democratic society, like I do, then you must understand that the majority (if only 51%) of California voters voted this way. Not just Mormons. ALL California voters. LDS were included - but so were Catholics and Jews, Evangelicals and Orthodox, African-Americans and Latinos, Asians and Anglos. ALL Californians.

I also believe in the ability to protest. But on a church's sacred grounds? Spewing hatred? It just doesn't make sense. Exhibit hate, because of what is in their opinion is a hateful proposition? I just don't get it.

Here is an article I found about the protests going on at the San Diego Temple.

San Diego Times Article


I don't know. Am I wrong about this?

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I wish this could all go away. It has caused so much tension within my family and people have such polar opposite opinions on the issue.

I do hurt to see the awful things they are saying about Mormons. It just hurts. Honestly, I wish the church would have never gotten involved in this.

Anonymous said...

no, I don't think so.

Ya know what I think is ironic? it seems to be the trend between heterosexual couples to AVOID marriage, co-habitating is good enough. "who needs a piece of paper to tell us we are committed?"
and homosexual couples seem to NEED that piece of paper.

something I have thought a little about.

interesting blog. just surfing by. . .