Sunday, July 5, 2009

MY NEW TIME WASTER



Okay, well, If you are wondering why I've been such a crappy blogger as of late, it's because of this little item above. That's right friends, I've got myself a new toy, and I've been loving every minute of it.

Well, while we were on vacation we lost our camera. Which I am completely bummed about because we had some really great pics on there. So, since we needed a new camera, I've been researching them, and even bought one and hated it. The pictures just weren't very good, and so I was going to have to spend a couple hundred dollars on one that could take great ones.

Then one day while we were at the pool, I asked my friend Kristin, if her iphone took good pictures. And she showed me a few, and it did. We started talking about her phone, and if she liked it, and all the crazy cool things it could do. She told me that they had the new ones on sale right now, and I decided I would look into it.

I found out I only had 30 days left on my current cell phone plan, so I went ahead at got the iphone. I went with the 3GS since it came with a little bit nicer camera and video as well. I am really enjoying this purchase because of all the neat things it can do.

So, I thought for those of you with iphones or itouches, I would go ahead and list my favorite apps that have been sucking my time away and maybe possibly you would share your favs with me.

Okey dokey.

  • First off, I really do love that I have my camera and camcorder built in to my phone. I was always forgetting my camera everywhere I went, and my old cell phone took really crappy pictures. You could tell they were from a cell phone. These ones not so much.
  • The other thing I am finding that I really enjoy about this phone is the built-in calendar. Now, I know my old phone probably had one too, but I am just now, for the first time beginning to see the brilliance it in. No need to carry around my little pocket calendar. Awesome.
  • I love the note pad on there, that I can just jot down a quick blog idea, or my grocery list.
  • It is great to have my ipod in there too, since I've been rocking the ipod mini forever, which incidentally isn't really so "mini" compared to the other ipods out there.
  • The built-in compass is pretty cool. Especially for someone who used to believe that north was always in front of you. ;)

Now for my favorite apps.

  1. google. Love that I can google random things anywhere. This is great for proving my point. Say we are out, and we are arguing about a technicality, google will always have my back.
  2. Accuweather. Love that I can get hourly updates on the weather, as well as a 15 day forcast.
  3. New York Times. Love that I can catch up on the news via my phone.
  4. Huffington Post. Love this blog.
  5. Facebook. Fun time sucker.
  6. Scriptures. Yes, I put scriptures before facebook. No more lugging the books around.
  7. Hymns. I do have them on here, but no I don't sing. Ever. But I can lipsynch the hymns like a champ. If you heard me sing, you just might say a prayer of thanks that I do lipsynch.
  8. Pandora. Awesome little station. Put in a song you like, it will play songs it thinks you will like cause you like that other one. Bad explanation. Good application.
  9. Espn. This is on here, cause I love hubs. Can find the score to any Sox game at the touch of a button.
  10. Around Me. Will find any restaurant or store or gas station around you. Uses the gps in my phone. Love this.
  11. Urban spoon. Want to find the nearest Sushi? Just punch in sushi and there you go. Kinda like Around me.
  12. Fandango. Like this one for being able to check what movies are playing where.
  13. Wells Fargo.
  14. Check please. Will tabulate the tip on any amount plus split the check into however many ways necessary. Totally silly, but still fun.
  15. Polarize Me. One of my favorite apps. Turns your regular photos into Polaroids. Too fun.
  16. My Wireless att. Lets you check how many minutes you've burned through, or text messages.
  17. Run K Pro. This one is probably one of my most used. So, the other day I couldn't find my gps watch I usually run with, so Hubs said, I bet they have an app for that. And sure enough. It cost me ten bucks, but it is awesome. So I just have to carry my phone while I run, which I do anyway cause of my ipod, and it will tell me how fast I'm running, my distance, and how long it's been. It also has all sorts of other sports on there, like cycling, cross country skiing, rollerblading. SA weet. And at the end, it will pull up a little map, so I can see where I went. Too cool. If you are a runner, I highly recommend this app.


  18. Shazam. So awesome. Watching tv and a commercial comes on, and you want to know the name of the song? Just hold your phone up to the speaker, and it will tell you the title and artist. Loves it.


  19. restraunts. This app is awesome. Will tell you the nutritional information from pretty much any chain restaurant.
  20. i handy level. Phone becomes an instant level.
  21. youtube.
  22. blocked. Fun little game. Thanks for the tip Aim.
  23. Pac Man. Keeps the kids thoroughly entertained.
  24. Scramble. Makes me feel like an idiot. I hate this. Hubs loves it.
  25. bublewrap. Again, kid fav.
  26. Lightsaber. Thing 1 thinks this is the coolest ever. Phone turns into a light saber. Makes the cool sounds and everything.
  27. Paper Toss. I suck at this.
  28. Ice Age 3D. Thing 1 loves the skate ramp.
  29. Wild West. My game of choice. Pin ball machine.
  30. Sprout Dress Chica. My kids love to play this in the car. Dress up the chicken. Laugh your head off.
  31. Adventure Preschool games. Colors, numbers, shapes, body, matching sounds. Thing 2 enjoys this.
  32. i coloring.
  33. doodle kids
  34. jirbo match. Thing 2's favorite app. Matching game.
  35. i write. Practice writing your letters.
  36. bus. The wheels on the bus. Kids love this one. But the song is annoying.
  37. mini piano. show off your skillz.
  38. scoops. Kid game, but I could play for hours. Catch the scoops on the cone, avoid the veggies. Brilliant.
  39. email. Duh. How could I forget. Love being able to send and get e-mail while I'm at the pool.

And there you have it. My iphone post. Sorry I've been a crappy blogger. It's just so addicting. But never fear. I've got a little list of posts rockin' in my notes app, and I just signed up for mobile blogger so I can post from my new phone. Watch out.


3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh swell.
Now I want one.
I never should've read your post.

Jo said...

Thanks for all of the great hints Amy! I only have an iPod Touch, but now I will have even more fun! I download audiobooks from Audible.com and that's my new addiction, especially when I'm in the car. Of course, I don't have kids so I can listen to whatever I want :)

Ashley said...

Oh man! Awesome. So jealous. I want one! Dave has one, but it's only loaded with boring medical resources. We do love the tip calculator though! And the camera. Happy iPhoning to you!