Thursday, August 5, 2010

THE NURSERY: A TOUR

So, I know it's been a while since I've blogged. Sorry about that. Life has been somewhat hectic as you can imagine. Three is pretty much kicking my ass. Sorry mom, but it's true. So, I've had some requests for some nursery pics, and so since I'm all about making dreams come true, I've decided to be a champ and post some pics. Hope you enjoy.


So, I kicked off my nursery design with grey walls. That's all I knew i wanted for sure. They are greyish brown and probably one of my favorite things about the room. Then I decided on a granny smith green to go with it. After some seriously bad attempts at sewing crib sheets I just settled on this awesome green one (which matched perfectly!) from Ikea. Love it. And at the steal of a price I bought a few --so glad I did.

Then I decided to add the number birds wall cards that I had originally picked up for Thing 2's room, but thought they were gender neutral enough to work for Thing 3's room. From there, I found this tutorial online to make a bird mobile. So I did. And it was the bane of my existence for a few days, till I figured out how to rig it up. Nightmare. If you decide to do this for some odd reason, call me first, so I can give you the behind the scenes tips on how to not drive yourself crazy.

The crib was pretty much the only thing we kept after having our other two. I seriously thought maybe I could give it to one of my brothers to use one day or something. Never imagined I'd be setting it up again first for myself, but oh well. It worked out great. Made the crib skirt. Easiest thing ever. And yeah, that's pretty much the bed corner. Still working on a plan for something above the crib. I've got a few ideas a brewin' and once I get it up and done I'll be sure to post pics.

Changing table. From Thing 2's room. Changing pad, warm wipes thing that holds our cloth wipes, and yeah. The essentials.

Little bookshelf I found at a consignment store that was a ugly shade of yellow. So I spray painted that sucker a nice green. I like it.


Reading/nursing nook. Had this green wall thing in our garage collecting dust. Think it looks good above the table I stole out of the front room. Found a lamp down in our storage room, and the fan at a consignment store. It's about 30 years old and runs great. That awesome quilt was made by my super-talented aunt Holly. And the pillow too. I picked out the fabrics--and she made them. Amazing! I wish I had that kind of talent. I keep telling her she needs to open up an etsy store.



Close-up of my killer retro turqoise fan.

Sock monkey from Tar-jay. Giraffe from a friend.

Nesting dolls I couldn't pass up from Children's Hour. Old barn hand-me-down.

And I just had to show my genius idea of hanging the book shelf off the back of the crib. I didn't want it on the wall cause I didn't want the walls to get too cluttered.
So yeah, there it is. I think it turned out great, and is even better in person. I pretty much designed it for me, since I spend literally hours in there day and night feeding le babe.
So there ya have it. Hope you enjoyed it.
Catch ya in a nother month. Joke. I'll post again soon. But don't hold your breath.







4 comments:

Jenny said...

I love it! You are so creative. I am impressed. Great color scheme.

Aimee said...

It is super cute in person. You would laugh if you saw my current "nursery". I am basically 4 weeks away and have done nothing. Denial maybe? I have a rough idea of what it is going to look like in my head but we have made no attempt it execute. We'll be stepping it up indeed this weekend :)

marcie b said...

so great! a very good mix of fun different pieces and balance of young and more sophisitcated style. i know what you mean by designing it mostly for you. i realized shortly into picking odds and ends for oli's room that they were for me, not so much him. you have inspired me to take some pics and post them of his room. again, very cute and a job well done.

Breklyn said...

Very retro chic (but manly as well). Love the grey and lime green together. You're quite the design pro - been watching some good HGTV? Hope you're doing well with the new babe. I'm sure 3 is a handful but so worth it.